There is no way around it. I love sweet things. I don’t have a sweet tooth, I have sweet TEETH. So making desserts and other tasty treats are pretty commonplace in my house. However, sugar tends to give me headaches. In some cases, usually when I have a packaged or restaurant dessert, I get severe headaches or migraines. So naturally I’m always on the look-out for ways to enjoy sweets, but without all the headaches!

This is perfect for baking, as it provides a dense sugar replacement and doesn’t effect the texture too much. It’s also great with creamy desserts or sauces, because it adds the sweetness but accentuates the creaminess.

Sweet Alternative: Homemade Date Syrup

40 pitted dates
2 1/2 cups warm water
2 tbs lemon juice
2 tsp gf pure vanilla extract

Put all ingredients inside your blender and let sit for 15 minutes. This will allow the dates to soak up liquid and become softer.  Blend together on high until it has a smooth consistency. Store in the refrigerator and use for cooking, baking, spreading on breads, or eating plain! :) Makes just over 1 quart.

~Aubree Cherie Davis

This recipe is linked to My Meatless Mondays, Just Another Meatless Monday, Five Ingredient Monday, Tasty Tuesday Parade of Food, Tasty Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tempt my tummy Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Fight Back Friday, Foodie Friday, Food on Friday, Get Frugal Friday, Friday Favorites, I’m lovin it Friday, and Fresh Bite Fridays.

9 Responses to Sweet Alternative: Homemade Date Syrup

1. Little Sis says:

This looks great. Dates have been a big part of our sugar cutting strategy. Thanks so much for sharing!

This looks like the perfect consistency, so rich and creamy! I get crazy headaches from sugar too, so satisfying that sweet tooth can be a challenge. Thanks for sharing one of your ways of doing that at 5-Ingredient Mondays!

3. Donna says:

So, do you use this cup for cup instead of sugar?

• Hi Donna,

I’m not sure. I don’t usually use recipes straight as they come anyway, I usually do things by taste or create a new recipe as I’m cooking. I cook with a lot of liquid stevia or stevia leaf, so in most cases this is a nice compliment/addition to the stevia. I would say, substitute with sugar at your own discretion :) And let me know how it goes!

4. Very nice, Aubree! I’m amazed at the power of dates to give anything that “just right” amount of natural sweetness! :-)

5. Connie says:

That looks so good! I have never heard of Date Syrup but I love dates! I will gives this a try. Pinned it and I would love for you to link it up in my Pantry, a Mason jar linky.

6. Claire L says:

This looks delicious! I love experimenting with different types of sweeteners. This will be next on my list. Thanks for sharing!
    I found your post via Food on Fridays, by the way.

7. Miz Helen says:

Hi Aubree Cherie,
    I just love Date’s and can’t wait to try this syrup. Your recipe is awesome and thank you so much for sharing it with Full Plate Thursday.
    Have a great weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

8. Lisa says:

Interesting recipe and it sounds very ‘doable.’ I would be interested in knowing more about how to use this syrup effectively!