Email updates from Living Free

This is a recipe completely created by my super awesome and talented sister. She’s always had more of any eye for gourmet food, while I’ve always been more of the ‘down home’ country style cooking. Not sure what that even means really, but I think she makes much ‘prettier’ food than I do.

Anyway, she made this the other day and she loved it, so naturally I had to try it too. It sounded crazy, but I knew if she liked it, chances are I would too.

Vegan Parmesan ‘Cheese’

½ cup of raw walnuts
1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 tsp coarse ground sea salt

Chop the walnuts until they are a coarse texture. Mix in the nutritional yeast and salt. In a coffee grinder, grind for about 7 seconds per amount (I have a tiny coffee grinder). It does leave a few chunks because part of the walnuts start to make a ‘butter’. It’s better to have a few larger pieces for texture anyway, the main thing to be concerned with is not over grinding the mix.

Mix in a bowl with a fork to separate any sections that were close to that walnut-butter texture and then put in a container in the fridge. Pull it out to use it like you would parmesan cheese. It’s obviously a bit nuttier than the original, but the strong, and pleasantly sharp, flavor does the job. A+! Also, it’s hard to resist plain ;)

~Aubree Cherie

This recipe is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Full Plate Thursday.

11 Responses to Vegan Parmesan ‘Cheese’

1. Elyse says:

I’ve never found a vegan parmesan cheese recipe before, this seems easy and delicious. I think it would go well with the meal I posted today on my blog Meatless Monday with Grilled Veggie and Goat Cheese Pitas with Mediterranean Crunch Salad (http://planetforward.ca/blog/archives/11103)instead of the Goat Cheese. What a great way to make any recipe that has cheese vegan.

2. :) I love this! Great idea, stopping by from Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays. I may have some yummy recipes you might like on my blog..recently going vegan! Thanks for sharing this. Can’t wait to check out the rest of your blog!

3. Cole says:

What a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing with Tuesdays at the Table!

4. I have to admit that I still haven’t tried nutritional yeast, but this recipe intrigues me in my quest to be 100% dairy free, Aubree! Thanks. :-)

xo,

5. LIB says:

Looks mighty fine – bet it would be great to coat chicken – not that that would be vegan :)

6. Stephanie says:

Oh wow! That sounds so good! Definitely making some this weekend.

7. Ann Kroeker says:

Wow, great solution! I’m going to pin this and point my friend Charity to it, as she is newly vegan. Thanks for linking this to Food on Fridays!

8. Interesting! I haven’t tried nutritional yeast yet, but one of these days I will.

9. What a great idea indeed! Sounds delish :)

10. [...] Vegan? Use Daiya brand shredded mozz and make your own faked-out parm. [...]

11. Dori says:

Aubree, thanks for the credit on this one sis ;). This recipe was originally supposed to be made with cashews, but as you know, I’m unfortunately allergic to them, so sad, so i was forced to find an alternate nut. yes, be careful, after about 8 seconds in the grinder the walnuts do start to turn to butter! LOL but I kinda like it that way!