Email updates from Living Free

This month is all about raw foods! Join a group of bloggers that are going to be posting their own raw recipes as part of April in the Raw, a blogging event hosted and created by Brittany of Real Sustenance. I will be sharing my highlighted raw recipe with you on Thursday, April 21st. But to get into the spirit of raw, I’m sharing this recent dehydrating success!

I really had my doubts about dehydrating things. Really truly had legitimate doubts. I’m not a fan of anything soggy or wilty. And I guess I just thought that even if I were to dehydrate something like a sweet potato, it would be really chewy and not crispy like a chip at all! Well, I was so very very wrong.

Woot!

One might argue as to whether the time spent making them vs the time eating them is a fair ratio. I know I ate about 15 hours worth of dehydration in about 30 minutes (I split the batch up, but that’s a somewhat scary ratio if you’re into balance). But on the bright side, once you slice the sweet potato, cover it with the salty mixture, and leave it in the dehydrator, it’s not like you have to really keep an eye on it or spent tons of time tending to it. You just have to be patient! :)

Raw Crispy Sweet Potato Chips

1 large sweet potato, about 1lb
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons sea salt
Dehydrator (or your favorite dehydrating method)

Start by peeling the sweet potato and cutting off the ‘pointy’ ends. I sliced my sweet potato with a mandolin slicer that I have. The pieces should be as thin as you can get them, about 1/8 inch if possible.

In a large mixing bowl, put in the olive oil and salt. Don’t even bother mixing. This part is a bit messy, but I found that it worked really well. You want each piece to be coated with oil, but you also don’t want it to be dripping with oil, because that will be gross for your dehydrator when you have to clean it up. So, I took one at a time and covered both sides and left them together in a bowl. Towards the end of the slices, I actually just rubbed the pieces together. Even still, when the chips were crisp, I think I still used too much of the oil. I want to try just a tad less next time.

Lay the pieces out on the dehydrator trays, trying not to let them overlap. Touching was okay though. For the first few hours, change the order of the trays a couple times (the top to the bottom, etc). But for the last 8 hours or so, I left them in the same place. About 12 hours in, I was able to consolidate them onto one tray for a few more hours to crisp them. In total, I left them in the dehydrator for 15 hours.

And they taste fabulous! And the texture is more than I dared to hope for. As nerdy as that sounds ;) Even the boy liked them! (And I’m so proud of myself for actually being able to share :D)

This recipe is linked to Sugar Free Sundays, Seasonal Sundays, My Meatless Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday, Just Another Meatless Monday, Tuesday Night Supper Club, Tuesdays at the Table, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Made from Scratch Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday.

43 Responses to Raw Crispy Sweet Potato Chips

1. I think I just wet my pants — that’s how excited I am about this. Thanks! :D

2. I just borrowed a dehydrator for April in the Raw and was so nervous about my 1st time using it! Your post has given me confidence. Those chips look so yummy!

3. Julie says:

I’ve been reading about the importance of consuming raw foods- never dawned on me to try dehydrating- this recipe sounds fantastic- can’t wait give it a try:)

4. oh.my.gosh!! You rock girl. I am SOOOO glad I invited you to participate in the event! (By the way you should totally link this recipe up to the April in the Raw Linky!)

5. Stephanie says:

Wow! I am so excited to get my hands on my soon-to-be-bought dehydrator to make this. Frying sweet potato chips always felt like too much work for me, but THIS I could totally do!

I’m looking forward to seeing more dehydrated recipes for the event.

Lol @ Katie!

This is simply the greatest. They look so good. What a wonderful snack to have at hand. Good going, Aubree.

They really do look crispy! My housemate has a dehydrator but I’ve always been too intimidated to try it…maybe I’ll give it a go with this recipe?

8. If there’s ever a reason to get a mandolin slicer, these sweet potato chips are certainly it! :-) I love sweet potato chips, but being able to make one’s own would be awesome. Oh, I must get a dehydrator, too. ;-)

Thanks, Aubree!

9. No way those are raw chips!! Do they taste as great as they look?
    My dad has an industrial size dehydrator that rarely gets used, guess what it’s going to be busy doing?!?

10. I’ve made raw potato chips before and wasn’t happy with them. I havn’t tried it with sweet potatoes, maybe I should?! They look beautiful :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

11. pat miller says:

made the sweet potato chips…love the flavor. mine were not as crispy or brown in appearence as those in your recipe photo.did i miss something?
    thanks,Pat

• Pat, it may have something to do with your dehydrator settings… Mine has A-E (E being the highest power) and I used E the whole time. Maybe next time try dehydrating longer, as I’m sure different models produce a different amount of air flow.

12. Ashlie says:

I loooooooove sweet potatoes and these chips sound divine. I really need to invest in a dehydrator!

13. So my batch of sweet potato chips are now in the dehydrator because of this post! But since I was super lazy I pushed them all through the food processor instead of chopping them by hand. I have a feeling they’ll be the size of the little McDonald’s fries that I used to throw away as a kid by the time they’re done! Apparently I need a mandolin slicer!

14. Miz Helen says:

Hi Aubree Cherie,
    It is good to see you. I am going to order my dehydrator this week. Your Sweet Potato Chips are just awesome, I just love Sweet Potato Chips and to get them without any oil that is awesome. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

15. remo says:

what temperature did you dry them at? I’ve heard raw sweet potato is toxic :/

• Hi Remo – you bring up a point that I was concerned about a while ago as well. I looked into this when I wanted to start using raw sweet potato in my morning fruit smoothies. From what I can find, they are not toxic. They do however, have a high amount of the enzyme trypsin, which makes digesting protein more difficult. This enzyme can be cooked out. So when eating sweet potatoes raw, it’ll be good to keep that in mind. Things like calcium help to also break down protein, so that could be a good counter. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? I’m certainly no expert!!! ~Aubree

16. Terry says:

I am going to have to go to the basement and dig my dehydrator out and try these. They look so good.

I am having an apron giveaway if you are interested.

17. Um, yes please! Thanks for giving me another wonderful use for sweet potatoes and my dehydrator!!!

18. Oh goodness these sounds and look fabulous, I can’t wait to make them!

19. Christine says:

I love how these are raw! I have a sweet potato that needs using up, so I guess I should go over and borrow my parent’s dehydrator!

20. I’ve had a hydrator for about 2 years and have been afraid to try it. Your pictures step by step is very helpful. I’m going to try it.. thanks

21. Oh, how delightful!!!!! I’m such a sweet potato-lover. And who doesn’t like chips?! I can’t wait to try these!!!! Just waiting on the dehydrator…(Been waiting a long, long time.)

22. christy says:

we have been debating purchasing a dehydrator for a while now…these might be just the nudge i need..they look amazing! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club!

23. Leigh says:

Wow! I never thought about dehydrating sweet potatoes! I typically fry them up, but it’s a huge mess and not always successful!

24. Miz Helen says:

Hi Aubree Cherie,
    I am happy to come back for seconds on these wonderful chips! Thank you for bringing them for us to enjoy at Full Plate Thursday and hope you will come back next week!

25. [...] first experience with the dehydrator was inspired by Aubree Cherie of Living Free.  She made Raw Crispy Sweet Potato Chips and raved about them.  After reading her post and looking at her delicious pictures, I just had to [...]

26. YUM! I’m so happy Heather from Gluten-Free Cat shared this recipe. I’m marching downstairs right now to give it a go :)

27. Hi Aubree!
    I just posted about my first experience with a dehydrator! I tried to use your recipe, but paid for my impatient modifications!
    Just wanted to let you know that I linked to your recipe and told everyone to follow YOUR directions and not mine! Ha! Live and learn.

28. I LOVED these chips! I’m making them again today. Thanks so much, Aubree. I’m new to your blog and I love it! Thanks again :)

29. Can’t wait to try these! But what temperature did you use? I’ve found that makes a big difference when using a dehydrator! Thanks! :)

30. Success! Believe it or not, I do have a mandolin slicer. (Duh, known in our house as the “V-slicer”) They turned out great this time. Thin slices made all the difference.

31. @Desi – I’m ashamed to say I’m not 100% sure what the temperature was, because my dehydrator is a hand-me-down and doesn’t have a manual or anything. It only has ‘levels’ of temperature on it. I used the highest level, so from my reading about other dehydrators online – I believe it was approximately 100 degrees F. Hope this helps! Thanks, ~Aubree

32. Debbie says:

Oh, boy! I must get a mandolin to slice my sweet potatoes to make these. Thanks!

33. martha says:

I have not had much luck lately with sweet potato chips. They seem to have a bland type of taste. What could I be doing wrong?

34. [...] Dip flax crackers or Raw Sweet Potato Pumpkin Seed Crackers [from Raw Food Recipes], & crudite into these yummy for Fall dips. Also fabulous with Nori Nachos-Cheddar or homemade crispy sweet potato chips. [...]

35. Mrs Deer says:

Oh indeed! it look very crispy! And beautiful colors!

36. [...] some shredded chicken? Maybe you are looking for some chips? How about some sweet potato fries or chips? The chip recipe calls for a dehydrator but you can use your [...]

37. Karla says:

I do not own a dehydrator… is there a way I can use my oven as a dehydrator? what would be the appropriate temperature and for how long. I would to try these awesome chips!

38. Sound delish, but I’ve got so many kitchen gadgets already.

Someone commented that they tried this on raw potatoes, and didnt like the result. Thats good because potatoes, not sweet potatoes, are in the nightshade family. Trying to be healthy should include poisoning yourself. :)

40. Frank says:

How do you remove the starchy flavor? Thanks

• Hi Frank – not sure what you mean by a starchy flavor? To me, “starchy” is a texture. Unfortunately if the flavor isn’t something you like, it may just be the natural taste of the sweet potatoes… Hope this helps! ~Aubree