Eeewwww, cabbage!

So went most of my young life. At some point along the way I decided that cabbage was good if it was cooked down to nothing and covered in seasoning. But now? Ohhh how the rebellious youth have fallen… contrary to those early years, I eat cabbage raw. I think in this case though, my giving in has been more of a winning than losing situation. Cabbage is really good for you! I got a nice big head of it in my CSA box recently and even though I like cabbage raw, there was no way I would get through ALL this cabbage before it went bad. Casserole time!

(p.s. Interested in hosting a Top Ten Tuesday on your blog?)

Easy Cabbage Casserole

1/2 head of white/green cabbage (about 3 cups)
2 medium white onions
3 medium red potatoes
3 medium to large carrots
8 eggs
1 tsp Bragg amino acids
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1.4 tsp ground peppercorn
1/4 tsp onion powder
2 tbs nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat the over to 350 degrees. Prepare a casserole dish or use a non stick pan. I used a 9×13 pan.

Wash all your produce well. Peel the carrots and potatoes if desired (I always leave the ‘skin’ of the carrots on, just make sure you wash them really good if you do that. I peel the potatoes though.). Cube them, chop the onions, and chop the cabbage into sections and add it all to a chopper. You’ll likely have to do this in ‘shifts’. Once you’ve ran sections through the chopper, add it all to a very large mixing bowl. Set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, add 8 eggs and beat them well. Mix in the Bragg amino acids, apple cider vinegar, peppercorn, onion powder, nutritional yeast, and salt. Mix well and then mix the whole thing into the chopped veggies bowl.

Pour the mix into your casserole dish. Bake at 350 for approximately 2 hours.

Chopping the veggies into small bits makes it blend together nicely. Also, the potato pieces and nutritional yeast give it a ‘cheesy’ affect, which is cool. This is a simple recipe, but it’s hearty and filling! It’s also a great way to use up cabbage if you’re not keen on eating it all raw ;)

This post is linked to Mouthwatering Monday, Midnight Madness Meatless Monday, My Meatless Monday, Just Another Meatless Monday, Tuesday Night Supper Club, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesday at the Table, Tasty Tuesday Blog Hop, Tuesday Twister, Real Food Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesday, Prairie Swap Thursday, Foodie Friday, Vegetarian Foodie Friday, Fight Back Friday, Food on Friday, and Pennywise Platter.

17 Responses to Easy Cabbage Casserole

1. My Mum will love this recipe, I’ll send it on to her!

2. We love cabbage in our house so I’m looking forward to giving your recipe a try. It sounds wonderful!

I never would’ve thought of this! It sounds awesome. I just got some purple cabbage – a lot! I don’t think I could sub out the eggs in this recipe though :( I’ve always loved cabbage salad! Now I think I’m craving it, thanks to you!

4. Cabbage casserole, yum. Looks delicious! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

5. Rebecca Jean says:

I love cabbage raw, but don’t really ever eat it cooked – other than in the occasional soup. This would definitely be something new in our house.

Thanks for linking it to Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays.

♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

6. Oh yum, this looks delicious! I love cabbage too – I think it’s a great base for casseroles.

7. Megan says:

Aubree – I love your creativity! I love to make slaw, but I also really like cooked cabbage as well, with lots of salt! In fact, I’m having cabbage tonight.

If you are still looking for someone to do your top ten, let me know. A week in January might work for me.

8. Kirby says:

Found this thru TNSC, I love cabbage and have never thought of making a casserole out of it, going to have to try this one! Thanks!

9. Miz Helen says:

This cabbage casserole looks wonderful and I will have to try it. Thank you for sharing and have a good week.

It looks good, and I like almost anything in a casserole, but I’m still not a cabbage fan. I know it is good for you, though so thanks for sharing the recipe.

11. christy says:

i’m like the others…never thought to cook cabbage in a casserole…this is genius! i am a big fan of braggs…i don’t know what it is, but i love it! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

12. ldh says:

What a unique recipe! I hated cabbage when I was young too but now I love it. This does look like a great tasting casserole!

That really looks good! I never would have considered cabbage to be a main ingredient in the casserole but I can see how it would work and be delicious! Thanks!

14. WordVixen says:

*lol* I always hated cabbage too, unless it was shredded up and added as a (small) part of a soup or something. Until I tried organic cabbage. Holy cow, the organic cabbage is sweet. I hate shelling out that much money for a bit of cabbage (which is supposed to be cheap, right?), but it’s so worth it.

15. Hazel Moon says:

We usually cook our cabbage down to nothing, but I also have a simple fried cabbage with bacon. This recipe sounds delightful and a must to try.

16. chaya says:

I just made a mango slaw and although, I think,it is a great recipe, it needed some more oomph. I made it for company and I have some left and guess what it is going into.

This is the perfect recipe. Thanks for solving my problem. Do you mind read?

17. Yolanda says:

It also sounds like a plan that would be very open to experimentation with other vegetables. What a creative cook you are!