Weekly updates from Living Free

Not to be confused with ‘Apple Turnovers’. Even though it seems to be an appropriate name with a perfect description, I’d hate to lead you on ;)

I’ve been doing better with eating healthy overall, but nothing could hide the fact that I always crave something sweet. Yes, I could make a batch of gluten free cookies or a pan of black bean brownies, but they just leave me feeling heavy and tired. This is a dessert I’ve been eating a lot of lately, because it fills that sweet craving but it also energizes me; unlike those carb desserts. I wasn’t going to post it as a ‘recipe’, but since I’ve been liking it so much, I figured why not!

It’s extremely easy, much like everything I’ve been making lately. Apparently graduate school is a bit of a time suck. Who knew? :) So if you’re craving something warm and tasty sweet that takes minimal effort, this should do the trick!

Turned Over Sweet Apples

5 medium apples
1-2 tbs canola oil
25 drops liquid stevia
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp cinnamon
pince allspice

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Wash, halve, and core the apples. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil. In a small mixing bowl, combine the oil, liquid stevia, vanilla, cinnamon and allspice. Pour this mixture into the pan with the aluminum foil. Place the apples face down/skin up on the foil and oil (ha – foil and oil).

Place the pan in the oven and leave it in for 20 minutes. At the 20 minute mark, you guessed it, turn the apples over! I spooned additional mixture onto the apples as well, to better soak it all up. Bake for an additional 15 minutes. Let them cool for a while before removing them from the pan. They’re best when they’re eaten warm from the oven though.

It’s sort of like eating pie, but without those crazy calories! It’s truly a guilt free dessert and I find myself looking forward to baked apples more and more :)

This recipe is linked to Midnight Madness Meatless Monday, My Meatless Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Just Another Meatless Monday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesday at the Table, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tuesday Twister, Food on Fridays, The Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap, Friday Favorites, Foodie Friday, Fight Back Friday, Vegetarian Foodie Friday, Family Food Fridays, Mom Trends Recipe Linky, Prairie Story Recipe Swap, and Pennywise Platter.

20 Responses to Turn that apple over!

1. Rebecca Jean says:

I’m loving all the fall recipes popping up for apples. This one looks like a snap to make. I imagine it makes the house smell wonderful too!

Need to add apples to my grocery list.

Thanks for linking to Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays!

♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

Sometimes the easiest recipes are the best ones to post. Like you, even healthier desserts leave me feeling tired and blah, so it’s nice to have some ideas for when that sweet tooth hits.

3. Oooh, this is cheating, but in a good way! Yumm…

4. angie says:

so delicious and easy I linked to it with my blog

5. Liberty says:

Looks great – and EASY! but why canola oil? i think would be even better with coconut oil!
    Blessings!
    LIB

6. Lisa says:

All I can say is wow. With gorgeous golden apples like that, I don’t need any other dessert.

7. Paula says:

First I’ve seen these. They look scrumptious!

Great idea and just what I need for this season of lots of eating!

9. Alea says:

I love this idea! I turn to apples when I have a sweet tooth and this looks like it could take care of even the worst cravings!

10. Tabby says:

I love all things apple! What a simple, great idea. Thanks.

11. I’m always looking for a low calorie treat! This one looks like a winner.. thanks for another great idea..

12. Thanks everyone! Glad you like it; I was worried that it was too ‘simple’ to post on the blog. I’m finding that sometimes simple is best though.

@Liberty – you’re so right; coconut oil would have been better! Unfortunately I’m in grad school and coconut oil is a bit beyond my budget :) I use it sometimes but usually only for really ‘special’ dishes.

13. yum. yum. yum!!!

I wonder if this works with peaches, too!!!!

SO delish! Thanks for linking up!

Those look tasty. Unfortunately, I have one son who does not like cooked apples in any form. Oh well, the rest of us would enjoy these.

15. These sound really good. I often bake apples with spices etc., but this is a lovely variation. I think you could even serve it at at dinner party!

You’ve just reunited me with one of my seasonal childhood favourites. I love how reading food blogs brings you back sometimes. I’m so glad you shared this recipe at Vegetarian Foodie Fridays this week. My kids will adore this as a snack or dessert this week.

17. ButterYum says:

So basically you’re making baked apples, only simplified. Cool.

ButterYum

They look really yummy! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

19. [...] also loved the simple kid-friendly apple snack ideas from Aubree Cherie at Living Free – Turned Over Sweet Apples and from Michelle at Frugal Granola – Cheesy Apple Rings. My kids loved these. Sorry no [...]