Weekly updates from Living Free

Yeah… you know what I’m talking about.

I remember girl scouts selling them as grasshopper cookies when I was a kid. I’m not sure if they still sell them, but I’m guessing most of you remember them too. They’re thin, they’re crispy, and they’re oh-so-mouthwatering. This recipe is an attempted re-creation of said fabulous-ness. Although they might not melt as much and they may not be quite as crispy, these mint thins are just… wow. I ate the whole batch in under two days. My hips and stomach (er, gut!) are still pretty upset with me about that… Time to head to the gym, me thinks?

I think for proprieties sake that it’s best not the use the word orgasmic online, so I’ll refrain from describing them in that way.

Oops.

1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp mint extract
20 drops NuNaturals alcohol free liquid stevia

Topping (optional):
2 oz 100% ghirardelli baking chocolate
20 drops NuNaturals alcohol free liquid stevia

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Start by sifting the flours, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and  together in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.

In a microwave safe bowl, soften the coconut oil until it liquefies. Add in the coconut/palm sugar and mix until it’s dissolved in (for the most part – just make sure there aren’t any noticeable chunks). Add the vanilla and mint extract as well as the stevia. If you’re not a stevia person, I would recommend removing it from the recipe and adding another half cup of coconut/palm sugar.

Mix the flour into the coconut oil with a fork. Roll the dough into 1/2″ balls and press softly onto a cookie sheet. You won’t need to stray it or use parchment paper because the oil from the dough is plenty. These cookies will not spread, so what you see if what you get when you’re putting the dough onto the pan. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. Once they’ve cooled a bit, you can add the topping! It’s optional though, I only made enough topping to cover half the cookies, which was about 3 dozen total.

To make the topping, melt 2 oz of baking chocolate in a microwave safe container. Add the drops of stevia and mix well. Spoon the melted chocolate onto the cookies. If you have patience and a strong will, let them cool for 20 minuts. Or if you’re like me, eat them right away! :D

These cookies come with a warning. If you make a batch, you WILL eat them all. And you’re likely to not be able to share… I know I’ve been forcing myself not to make another batch, because although they’re a little bit healthier than most sugar and gluten filled treats, these should still be treated as an indulgence. My last piece of advice? Pace yourself!

This recipe is linked to My Meatless Monday, Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Just Another Meatless Monday, Tuesday at the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays Bloghop, Tuesday Night Supper Club, Real Food Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesday, Tuesday Twister, Pennywise Platter Thursday, Prairie Story Recipe Swap, Wholesome Whole Foods, Fight Back Friday, Foodie Friday, Vegetarian Foodie Friday, Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap, Friday Favorites, and Chocolate Friday.

25 Responses to Gluten & Refined Sugar Free Thin Mint Cookies

I’ve never had the Girl Scout variety, but that won’t stop me from swooning at these! Oh, my goodness, they look. . . orgasmic! Ooops. ;)

Haha Aubree, you are funny! My mother-in-law loves this combo so I think I’ll give these a try next time she comes for a visit! They look GREAT!

3. Yes, the GS thin mint cookies are still around, but it’s been 7 1/2 years since I’ve eaten one. (Mr. GFE still indulged during GS cookie season.) Oh, yes, “o” inspiring indeed … and the little “o” shows I’m not talking about Oprah. He he. I’ll definitely give these a go in the future. For some group event … just to be safe. ;-) Maybe our December support group meeting. That’s a good time for an indulgence! :-)

Thanks, Aubree!

4. Deanna says:

Mmm….Decadent!

5. My littlej adores this flavour combo, I’ll have to give them a try. Yumm…

6. How do you keep coming up with these amazing recipes?! We don’t get Girl Scout cookies in England and even if we could, I think I’d still make these – yum!

7. chaya says:

You are one of my favorite cooks. You are original and creative and the results are always appealing. Thanks for linking to MMM.

8. Lisa says:

What a great way to make these delicious cookies a whole lot healthier. They look great. By the way, I’m holding a CSN giveaway on my blog, so be sure to come by for a chance to enter.

Hey these are great looking cookies. I bet they would make a great holiday cookie for platter, especially for GF friends!

Thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday, it’s nice to have you here!

10. Samantha says:

These are going straight in my “try asap” file!

These look like they would be rich but no sugar! Thats great!

12. I can’t believe this is no sugar, are they sweet? forgive me, I have never had anything like this before, they look scrumptious thought.

13. Sue says:

Girl Scout Thin Mints are a family favorite:)

I’d love to try these cookies…they look so rich and chocolatey!

14. NancyC says:

Yum–chocolate and mint are a great combination!

15. Katie says:

These, sound and look delightful! I love chocolate and mint, i don’t think that there is a better combo when it comes to sweets! I will be making these when I get a chance.

16. As a former Girl Scout leader, I remember my freezer being full of Thin Mints and other flavors. That seems like such a long time ago and we are so much healthier now that we know those cookies were part of what was making us feel so awful. Still miss that flavor combo, though. These sound like you found the right recipe.
    Wendy

17. HELLO!!! My daughter who has celiacs was just saying yesterday she has never had a chocolate mint cookie in her life. I cannot wait to show her this recipe! Thank you so much for sharing!
    I found you on Real Food Wednesday!

18. Pat says:

Yes, I do remember those Girl Scout cookies. Oh, my! I am looking forward to trying these!

Pat
    (formerly Gluten-Free Food That Even My Husband Likes, now renamed Elegantly, Gluten-Free)

19. Ummm.. YUMMMM!
    These looks amazing Aubree! Delicious I can almost taste them through the computer screen!

Thanks so much for linking this delicious recipe up to Wholesome Whole Foods!

20. SnoWhite says:

I’d love to make these for my MIL — wow, they look great.

21. Very impressive!! I would have eaten them all too – LOL! Thanks for linking them up!

Oh boy these do look rather divine. I can even smell them. Yum! Choc and mint together are one of my faves. Thanks for linking up to Vegetarian Foodie Fridays!

23. christy says:

you make it look so easy…as far as i am concerned these are healthy cookies and you can eat the whole batch in 1 sitting :) they look amazing..i can almost taste them from here. thank you for linking up this nostalgic and delicious cookie recipe to tuesday night supper club.

24. Beth says:

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum. How awesome do these look??? And what a great idea melting and sweetening baking chocolate for a sugar-free chocolate coating. I will definitely be trying these…hopefully soon : )