I’m a big fan of packing in the nutrients at breakfast. I’m an early riser too (those who know me personally think I’m a bit insane), so for me to last into the afternoon working on all cylinders can be a challenge. And as cliche as it is, having a nutritious breakfast is the best way to start my day.

I do have to be really careful with that though. I can’t eat too much at breakfast or I tend to get really sluggish in the mid morning (8-10ish). It can’t be a ‘heavy’ breakfast. No carbo loading, no plates full of meat and potatoes, etc. Fruit, whole grains, and nuts are my usual method. This is one of those attempts to have an all around tasty breakfast that keeps me going during the mid morning. Verdict? Success!

4 ripe peaches
1/2 cup raw almonds
3 tbs chai seeds
1/2 cup puffed millet (or similar)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 tsp vanilla extract
10 drops liquid stevia
1/4 cup unsweetened dessicated coconut, optional
Additional almonds for ‘garnish’ if you feel so inclined :)

Wash the peaches and remove the pits. The riper the better! But the stevia will help if the peaches aren’t as ripe. Slice them and add the slices to a chopper. I used my Salsa Express that has two blades and is pretty basic. A food processor should also work well. Add the peaches to a large mixing bowl.

In a coffee grinder, add your almonds. I have a small electonic grinder that will only fit a small amount, so I did about 2 1/2 tablespoons at a time. I loved this though because some of the almonds were ground up into almond meal, but there were still some big pieces to add a nice texture. Add the whole and meal almonds to the large mixing bowl.

Mix in the chai seeds, sunflower seeds, puffed millet, vanilla extract, and liquid stevia. Combine well. I did eat some right away, but I actually prefer this chilled once it’s had some time to settle in the fridge. The longer you let it sit the thicker the dish will become because the chai seeds will soak up the peach juice.

This will serve 4 to 5 as a stand alone breakfast. I had this each morning for one week. I think it’s time for a repeat of that week already :)

This recipe is linked to Just Another Meatless Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, My Meatless Mondays, Midnight Madness Meatless Monday, Tuesday Twister, Tasty Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent TuesdayTuesdays at the Table, Gluten Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Delicious Dishes, and Pennywise Platter.

12 Responses to Last Until Lunch: Peachy Breakfast Bowl

This sounds totally amazing! Did you find that it kept well for a whole week? I’d be afraid that the peaches would begin to ferment! I swear I can almost taste this and I MUST make it next week! Thanks for a great recipe. :D

The “Last blog post” feature doesn’t work for me (sniff boo hoo). But (as you know) my last one was a blender giveaway and “breakfast soup” recipe!

I can sense the peachy goodness you’ve created here. I love peaches! It’s too bad they only last such a short season :(. I really like the sound of this recipe, my only question is how does the puffed millet texture fare after storage for a couple days? I am very much needing recipes that last for a few days. Btw, I was thinking of you the other day when I made a very affordable (and amazing!) garlic smashed dilly potatoes. Every time I post I realize how much dairy I like to use, and you always inspire me to think outside the box. I love your frugal and fabulous dairy free /gf recipes. Best of all I like that you plan ahead and make enough for other meals so you are always happily satiated when in time of need!

3. @Ricki – Thanks! But you certainly bring up a good point about the fermenting. I guess I’m surprised it didn’t. Although, it was a total of 4 days after it was made. I made it on Monday and then ate it up until Friday morning. That may well be as long as it will last…

@Chelsey – Thank you, it’s definitely peachy :D To answer your question about the millet, this may sound disgusting, but I loved it! It sort of dissolves into the dish, I didn’t notice it at all, but I think the texture of the seeds and almonds really hides it too. I personally think it would be better with something like oats.

Those potatoes sound grand! Thanks for all the kind compliments. They mean a lot, I’ve been somewhat discouraged with my cooking lately; I don’t post the ‘fails’ :), so you made my day!

~Aubree Cherie

4. Rebecca Jean says:

Oh my gosh, that’s looks so good right now. I’m sitting in my 58 degree dining room, munching on cold cereal, and freezing! I know you prefer this chilled, but I could sure use something warm right now.

I wanted to offer up another link for you. I host a Meatless Monday flickr group and Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays blog carnival. I would love to have your Meatless Monday photos added to the group and welcome you to link your Meatless Monday blog posts to the carnival. The first carnival started today!

Hope you will join and help spread the Meatless Monday movement!

♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

5. It looks downright peachy, Aubree! Sorry … I’m in that kind of goofy mood, today. Truly, this breakfast bowl looks great with the balance of sweet with crunchy protein and more. :-)

Hugs,

Thanks for linking up this goodness to MMM. I am another peach fan so this appeals. Thanks for always making MMM interesting with these creative recipes.

7. Miz Helen says:

This looks wonderful. I think I may try making it with my home canned peaches.
    Thank you for sharing.

8. Christine says:

That looks super tasty! I’ll have to try it sometime as I’m always looking for breakfast items that keep me full and not munchy in the morning. It’s especially bad because I’m at home not working (yet) it’s difficult to not raid the cupboard or fridge at random intervals during the day.

Oh yum! I love a tasty breakfast that sticks with you. The peaches and almonds in this sound like a great combination.

10. Mindy M says:

You could try ‘crispy nuts’ I find them much easier on my stomach. http://nourishyourchildren.com/blog/2010/01/crispy-nuts/

11. Brian says:

This looks like quite a hearty breakfast. It’s nice to be able to make up a big batch to get through the week.

12. Heather says:

That looks delicious. I’m always looking for portable, make-ahead breakfasts. I teach early morning fitness classes, so I’m ravenously hungry afterwards, but sadly our locker room does not have a stove. :) Eating gluten-free and healthily on the go is a challenge. Thanks for the recipe! I may try to add a few scoops of vanilla protein powder to the mix for muscle recovery.