Email updates from Living Free

This is a really simple recipe. Its not rocket science, but I liked it so much I just had to take a photo and share it with you all. Juuuust in case you haven’t made it yet (although if you’re like me and love quinoa, you probably have :))

I’ve always loved fried rice, but this is just as tasty (if not more) and its packed with tons of protein from both the eggs and the quinoa. This batch will make 2 nice dinners and then I have a few small containers left over to use as sides. It’s great on extra busy weeks to have all ready for me in the fridge!

Fried Rice, er, Quinoa

1 cup quinoa grains
2 cups water
3 1/2 cups of mixed vegetables (I used a bag of frozen veggies)
3 eggs
3 tablespoons sesame seed oil
1/2 tsp Bragg Amino Acids

In a medium saucepan, cook the quinoa in about 2 cups of water. (Don’t forget to rinse the quinoa first!) Cook the grains until the water is more or less cooked out. Set aside.

In a large saucepan cook the mixed vegetables. Frozen really is an efficient way to go. Its easy to cook them up, they’re already ‘chopped’ and the perfect size, and as many of us learned from Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution (or before) frozen veggies typically contain more nutrients than supermarket produce. They freeze the crops soon after they are picked as apposed to the supermarket fresh produce that has to be boxed up, stored, shipped, set up, bought, and then prepared. So if you can’t get local, sometimes frozen is the best choice!

Anyway, once the veggies are cooked up, drain the pan and set them aside.

In a large pan or a wok, add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil. Scramble the eggs either in a bowl before you pour them into the wok, or simply mix them up in the warming pan. Once the eggs start to solidify, add the veggies and another tablespoon of sesame oil. Cook just the veggies and eggs for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Finally, add the quinoa and the last tablespoon of sesame oil. Also add the bragg amino acids now. (This is a soy sauce replacement. If you have a gluten free soy sauce, have at it! :)) Cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

Then it’s ready to serve right out of the pan!

This recipe is linked to My Meatless Monday, Midnight Madness Meatless Monday, Just another Meatless Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tuesday Twister, Tasty Tuesday, Hearth and Soul Hop, Delicious Dishes, Real Food Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesday, Pennywise Platter, Recipe Swap Thursday, Family Food Fridays, Food On Friday, The Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap, Mom Trends Recipe Linky, Fight Back Friday, Friday Favorites, Foodie Friday, Vegetarian Foodie Friday, and Wholesome Whole Foods.

20 Responses to Fried Rice, er… Quinoa

1. Stephanie says:

What a great idea! I love fried rice and I love quinoa! I’m going to try this tonight!

2. Quinoa is such a great substitute to rice, I can see how this would be a fabulous “fried-rice” dish! Thanks for sharing Aubree!

I love fried rice too, and quinoa is growing on me especially because I’ve learned to soak and rinse before cooking. Looks lovely. You are always inspiring to plan meals ahead! I’m trying to get on the organized bandwagon.

4. I like quinoa so much better than rice! Need to restock for sure. Thanks for the reminder and this lovely “gfe” recipe, Aubree!

Hugs,

Yes, I’m like you that way. . . there aren’t enough descriptors in the world to express how much I love quinoa! And I can’t believe I’ve never used it in place of rice this way–must give it a try! :)

6. Definitely an excellent idea – easy, nutritious and delicious!

7. chaya says:

Getting your grains mixed up. LOL

I have to put up a sign -QUINOA.

We like it but I go for the rice, out of habit. New habits are good.

Thanks for the link at MMM

Great idea Aubree! You’re always so creative. I love the frozen veggies tip too – I had no idea they were better than most grocery store produce – missed that episode of Jamie Oliver :)

9. Matilda says:

Lovely combination of rice and quinoa, which I recently re-discovered. Can’t wait to trying it!

matilda
    @SickOfFood

10. Raine says:

Hi Aubrey –
    Looks delicious! I found your site via Wardeh at GNOWFLGINS and I love what you have here. I have a favorite recipe we make in our house with germinated brown rice, egg, vegetables, and pasture-raised chicken that this reminds me of and I think I need to try the quinoa version as I love it. I’m not sure what my family would think, but I think it’s worth a shot! :)

11. Beth says:

What a great recipe! I’m always looking for more ways to use Quoina!

12. Christy says:

Simple and delicious, and you serve it out of the pan – perfect in my mind! Thanks for sharing this with us at the hearth and soul hop!

13. I love quinoa so much that I just bought a 50 lb bag of it! Thanks for sharing at the Hearth and Soul hop.

14. Julie says:

We love quinoa! I am always looking for new ways to prepare it. Bookmarking this one to give it a try!

15. Lisa says:

What a nice substitute to make this dish healthier. Thanks for giving me another way to use quinoa.

16. I love fried rice, but I never would have thought of subbing quinoa – looks delicious. thanks for the inspiration.
    Sue

A person can’t go wrong with quinoa (that is unless they forget to rinse it!) but actually, I have never made fried quinoa. Great idea! I’m keeping that feather in my hat for future reference. Thanks for sharing at Vegetarian Foodie Fridays!

I love fried rice! Looks delicious!

Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites last week!

19. Great idea, we LOVE quinoa, our boys are still struggling to like it…this may help them. Thanks!