Email updates from Living Free

These muffins didn’t last long. They did yield 1 dozen normal sized muffins and over 1 dozen mini muffins, but they were still gone much too fast. The sad part is… I didn’t even share these with anyone. I ate them all! Time to head to the gym…

These came almost entirely from Iris, of The Daily Dietribe. Her recipe, Quinoa Banana Muffins, looked so good I was inspired to try them! I did put a few changes and twists in mine, but overall, the credit remains with Iris!

Is anyone sick of my quinoa recipes yet? I hope not, I love cooking with quinoa and can’t seem to help myself. I’ll try and shake it up a bit soon though :)

Coconut Quinoa Muffins

3 tbs canola oil
3 tbs maple syrup
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 large banana
1/4 cup unsweetened dessicated coconut
1 tsp chia seeds

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Start by sifting all the flours and baking powder together in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.

Whip the eggs in a large mixing bowl. I used a fork for about 2 minutes then added the sweet potato puree, canola oil, and maple syrup. Once those are well blended, add the almond milk and thoroughly mix again. Set aside.

In a small mixing bowl, mash up the banana until it’s completely pulverized (such a good word!). Then add in the already cooked quinoa, coconut, and chia seeds. Pour (more like plop, but that doesn’t sound quiet a elegant…) the banana ‘batter’ into the large mixing bowl with the eggs and milk. Mix well. Slowly add in the flour mix, folding as you go.

Fill your muffin pans as desired (mini, full sized, paper, no paper, etc). Larger muffins took about 20 minutes in the oven, while the mini muffins took about 15.

Thanks to you, Iris! I wouldn’t have tried these if it hadn’t been for your recipe. These are so delicious: they’re sweet, have a moist texture, and are filling beyond reason!

This recipe is linked to My Meatless Mondays, Mouthwatering Mondays, Just Another Meatless Monday, Midnight Madness Meatless Monday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Gluten Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Prairie Story Thursday, Foodie Friday, The Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap, Vegetarian Foodie Fridays, Family Food Fridays, Momtrends Recipe Linky, and Fight Back Friday.

15 Responses to Coconut Quinoa Muffins

They look so pretty and white! I could reach through the screen and grab a few…yummy! I have to use sweet potato puree in a baked good! It’s on my list.

2. I love the idea of using cooked quinoa, there always seems to be some leftover at the end of a meal. What a delicious way to use it up. Yumm…

3. What delicious looking muffins – and how wonderful they are healthy too! I had no idea you could bake with quinoa – fantastic!

4. chaya says:

Tired of quinoa. Keep it coming. It is “new” item for many and it is versatile and good. OPen the eyes of the world. You go, girl.

Thanks for linking it to MMM.

no keep cooking with quinoa! I love it :)
    These look truly delish, thanks!

Aww thank you for the kind words! Of course, when I saw the title of your post, I had to click on it and check it out! Our minds must think alike. :)

I just posted another quinoa recipe too. I love the light crunch it gives to a recipe.

7. Yum, they look really good. I’ve never made muffins with quinoa before, so I’m excited to try them. I look forward to reading your blog each week. Great pictures too..

8. I’m always looking for new ways to use quiona. I love muffins, so one day I’ll have to give this recipe a try. Thanks for sharing it with us.

This is a great way to use quiona, and I like things with coconut.

10. Kelly says:

These sound so good! I’m posting them on Spunky FB :-)

Those look lovely Aubree. I never cared for the taste of quinoa flour in baked goods, but for some reason I think that using cooked quinoa would be better. I’ll have to give it a try.

12. Rebecca Jean says:

How’d you know I’ve been craving coconut? The ingredient list has all kinds of things I haven’t used before. All the more reason to try them! As if your testament to eating them all wasn’t enough.

Thanks for linking up with Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays!

♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

i’m totally not tired of quinoa, but I did laugh when you asked because I remember the post you linked with me last week and thought “she must be on a quinoa roll.” These look pretty darn awesome! Thanks for sharing with me this week!

14. Lisa says:

What a creative and delicious way to use quinoa.