Weekly updates from Living Free

This is surprisingly amazing. I really didn’t have any expectations when I threw the ingredients together, I figured it was just a way to use up some of the beets from my CSA box. But to my utter happiness, it turned out fabulous! It’s a sweet dish, but with a hint of savory. It’s also very filling. I suppose we can blame the quinoa for that one.

I wouldn’t come out and say this is a dessert, because it isn’t. But it’s possible that I finished dinners with some of this to ‘cleanse the palette’. Or something like that :)

Candied Beet Quinoa

3/4 cup red quinoa grains
4 medium beets
2 tbs honey
1/4 cup almond milk
3 cups water

This is so easy to make! Start by soaking the quinoa grains. I let them sit for about ten minutes in warm water and then rinse them really good. Drain and set aside.

Peel and cube the beets into 1″ pieces or smaller. In a medium saucepan, add your beets with the 3 cups of water. Put on high. Once the water is boiling, cook the beets for 10 minutes. At that point, turn the burner down to medium and add the quinoa. Cook for another 10 minutes or until the water begins to cook out. Once there is virtually no water left in the pan, add the almond milk and honey. Mix well. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the mix has, in effect, gelled together.

Serve warm or cold! I can’t decide which way I like better :)

This recipe is linked to My Meatless Mondays, Just Another Meatless Monday, Tuesday at the Table, Tuesday Twister, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Delicious Dishes, Hearth’N’Soul, Gluten Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Pennywise Platter, Fight Back Friday, The Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap, Foodie Friday, Friday Food, Friday Favorites, Vegetarian Foodie Friday, Food on Friday, and Foodie Friday Fix.

23 Responses to Candied Beet Quinoa

1. I’ve been trying and trying to loooove beets because of how nutritionally dense they are, and I think this may be my ticket in!!

2. Stephanie says:

Wow, this does sound really good. Beautifully colored dish!

This sounds really good! I love beets anyway, but don’t really know any way to prepare them except plain or as Borscht. Thanks for the idea! :)

4. Great idea. What a creative use of ingredients!

5. I need to try this as it sounds so intriguing!

You are so creative girl! What a good idea. I adore beets and I adore quinoa. Easy and Yummy!

7. What a fantastic way to use beets! Your candied beet quinoa sounds really delicious.

8. Ashlie says:

This sounds like it be good breakfast too! I love beets :)

I love beets so I can see this in my future! So beautiful–Thanks for always linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday, it’s great to have you each week!

Again, you came up with a winning combination. I am collecting ideas for quinoa. I just don’t like the rinsing it but one should never miss that step.

I discovered beets, again, when I entered a beet challenge so I am ready for this new combination.

11. I **love** beets…there’s something about them that just makes me happy. It’s a combo of the flavor and texture that gets me. I like them steamed with nothing on them – they’re good roasted, too. Your dish looks great – and with another favorite of mine, quinoa, you can’t go wrong. Thanks for linking to Slightly Indulgent Tuesday!

12. Miz Helen says:

Just stopping by from Tuesday Twister. We love beets and your recipe looks great. Thank you…

13. Jenn says:

Wow, this looks amazing. And I love beets!

Wow it looks like a dish of pretty jewels. Love the red! And It’s simple enough for tonight’s dinner. Delicious!

15. Add me to the beet fan club. Quinoa is a fav, too. This time of year makes us all creative trying to use up the harvest and you really got creative here.

I have some beets from my CSA box that need to be used too. Maybe I’ll give this a try today. It looks wonderful.

17. This sounds like a tasty breakfast to me. Quinoa is such a tummy filler. Thank you for linking this recipe with Hearth and Soul.

18. girlichef says:

Wow, what a crazy-delicious combination! And that color!! Okay, this is something I definitely want to try, sounds very comforting. Thanks so much for sharing it w/ the hns hop this week :)

19. Christy says:

I just discovered I love beets this fall – I definitely want to try this dish – wouldn’t it be beautiful on a holiday table? Oh, but I won’t wait that long to try! Thanks for linking to hearth and soul!

20. Oh boy, look at that color! This dish has captured my imagination, thanks for the post and the great idea!

How interesting!

Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

22. Chantel says:

I would never have mixed beets with quinoa, this actually sounds so good!

That’s an amazing looking experiment! Thanks for sharing at Vegetarian Foodie Fridays!