It’s a cheesy name, I know. But all I could think of while I was making it was this MAY be intended as a spaghetti sauce… but you don’t even need the spaghetti to eat it. It’s sort of like, “Would you like some spaghetti with your sauce?”

Why yes… yes I would. Gluten free spaghetti that is ;)

Big Boy Spaghetti Sauce

1/4 cup canola oil
3 drops of lemon juice
1 large green onion, chopped (foliage and all – just no roots)
1 chicken breast, cut into thin strips (optional)
7 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
2 springs fresh oregano (no stems)
3 larges leaves of red lettuce
1 handful of fresh spinach leaves
1/2 cup chickpea’s, precooked
3/4 cup tomato sauce
1 tsp crushed parsley
1 tsp crushed sweet basil leaves
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
Optional: Gluten Free Pasta or Spaghetti

It’s a pretty simple dish really. Start by putting the oil and lemon juice in a large skillet or wok; I LOVE my wok. It’s perfect for a messy cook :). Put it to medium high heat and as it warms up, chop the green onion, chicken, and mushrooms to add the pan as soon as they’re cut. De-leaf the oregano sprigs and throw up the stems. Add the leaves to the wok. I took the three large red lettuce leaves and simply ripped them up with my hands (after it was properly washed of course). The spinach I added as it was.

Then add the chickpea’s, tomato sauce, parsley, sweet basil, onion powder, and salt. Cook all together until the chicken is cooked through (about 15 minutes in total).

Have some gluten free pasta all ready cooked and serve immediately. (But seriously, you don’t need the pasta :))

This recipe is linked to Pennywise Platter, Food on Friday, The Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap, Mom Trends Recipe Roundup, Fight Back Friday, Food Friday, Friday Favorites, and Foodie Friday Fix – Chickpeas.

10 Responses to Big Boy Spaghetti Sauce

1. Christine says:

This looks like a pretty exciting and different spaghetti sauce! I think I’m definitely going to have to try it some day sooner rather than later. :)

2. Vee says:

Yum, this looks great! I love those thick, chunky sauces that are so substantial you only need a small ammount of carbs to go with it. Bit confused about the red lettuce though, do you mean like radiccio?
    Thanks!
    Vee.

3. @Vee I’m embarrassed to say that I’m not entirely sure what I mean by red lettuce. It was in my CSA box and looked just like my other green leafy lettuce, except that it was red of course… So I’d say you can either omit it, use a little extra spinach, or add some of any green that you like! :) Not sure if that was of any help…

4. Alea says:

I love a hardy spaghetti sauce. I like how you combined ingredients that you would not normally find in spaghetti sauce.

5. Aubree, that looks like such a spectacular meal! I’d eat some for breakfast right now! :-) I mean it, too.

6. YUM!! I love a thick & chunky spaghetti sauce… my husband on the other hand does not! lol… I always have to puree his! :-) What’s your favorite GF pasta to use? I bet this would even be good as a “manwich” type meal! yum!

7. The flavors you have used in this sauce sound wonderful – and I really like that it has chickpeas in it. Definitely a good for your health comfort food recipe!!

8. zentMRS says:

Looks wonderful! I love different spaghetti sauce recipes (my grandfather would have called it “gravy”) – thanks for sharing!

9. Ann Kroeker says:

Doesn’t that sound hearty and healthy! Very nice. Very nice, indeed. I like the looks of it very much.

Thanks for linking this to Food on Fridays to share with readers!

That looks SO delicious!

Thanks for linking up last week for Friday Favorites!