Email updates from Living Free

My mom makes the most amazing treat called Scotcheroo’s. I’m not sure how well known this type of dessert it, but its basically a peanut butter rice krispy treat with a chocolate butterscotch topping. They were always my favorite dessert growing up. In fact, my sister and I never wanted cake for our birthdays, we wanted scotcheroo’s! So this was a challenge recipe for me. I needed to bring back those childhood memories while not using things like High Fructose Corn Syrup and ingredients laden in white sugar.

Did I succeed? Yes and no… This doesn’t taste like what I remember. But boy is it good! If you like peanut butter and dark chocolate, this is pretty hard to resist. Everyone that tried it really like it. (Which is good because I would have sat and ate the whole pan if I didn’t share it! They’re pretty addicting.)

* I have to provide a disclaimer on these. Although the post title says peanut butter rice krispies (because they remind me of those), they aren’t actually crispy. They’re more like a blondie or a cookie bar texture.

Peanut Butter Rice Cookie Bars

Bar:
2 cups organic rice flakes
3/4 cups + 1/2 cup unsweetened soymilk (divided)
1/2 cup brown rice syrup
1/4 cup date sugar
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons all natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon canola oil

Sauce/Topping:
4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
1/4 tsp liquid stevia

In a medium mixing bowl, add the organic rice flakes and soak in 3/4 cups of soymilk. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, add the brown rice syrup. Mix in the date sugar and 1/2 cup soymilk. Stir continually until the mixture starts to show signs of boiling. Once the mixture begins to oil, add the peanut butter and canola oil.

Let the mixture boil (a very low boil!) for about 5 minutes. Then remove the pan from the stove and let it cool another 5 minutes. (Or if you have a metal or glass mixing bowl you can probably skip the cooling step. I had a plastic mixing bowl and didn’t want to take chances.) Mix the syrup into the rice flakes; making sure they’re all covered. I mixed for at least 5 minutes, I wanted to make sure I didn’t have any loose flakes.

Spray or grease a small casserole dish and pour the batter in. Its more like ‘plop’ the batter in, but you get the idea :). I used a glass pan that is about 8 by 10″. Then cover the pan and leave it in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. This will ensure that the milk and syrup has been completely ‘soaked up’ into the rice flakes.

When you take it out of the fridge, put it right into the oven for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

Let the pan completely cool before you cut it into bars. You can add the topping 1 of 2 ways. Either cut the bars first and then pour topping onto each individual bar, or you can pour topping across the whole thing and then cut the bars out. I actually did half and half to see what I liked better. I preferred to add the chocolate to each piece individually, but it was more time consuming.

To make the topping, chop up the 4 oz of chocolate and put in a microwave safe container. I started by doing 30 seconds at a time for the first minute, mixing it up with a fork between, and then putting it in for 15 seconds at a time; all the while mixing it up so no parts of the chocolate got burnt. Once it was all liquefied, I mixed in the liquid stevia. Then use a spoon to spread the chocolate over the bars.

Once they’ve cooled, dig in!

This recipe is linked to My Meatless Monday, Just Another Meatless Monday, Monday Mania, Mouthwatering Monday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tuesday Twister, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesdays, Delicious Dishes, Pennywise Platter, Gluten Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, and Vegetarian Foodie Fridays.

21 Responses to Peanut Butter ‘Rice Krispy’ Treats – Sugar Free Style

1. These look so delicious! I will be getting the ingredients today, but I will replace sunbutter for the peanut butter since it doesn’t agree with me too much. Thanks for the recipe, I can’t wait to try this!

2. Deanna says:

These look fantastic! I bought some rice flakes long ago and never liked them all that much – too crunchy/chewy – but the soaking them thing sounds like the perfect solution! And you know I just can’t get enough peanut butter. :)

3. Sophie says:

These bars look mighty tasty & ooh so appetizing too!!

ooh yes! Now, I would like to savour at least 4!

Kisses from Brussels!

4. Can I just say how DELICIOUS these look? Especially with that frosting dripping down the side?! Yum!! :)

What is brown rice syrup?

The chocolate dripping is a the final touch. These look yummy and I am thinking of making them for my new class.

Thanks for linking to My Meatless Mondays.

6. What a delicious looking treat! Great recipe!

7. Thanks everyone! They were an experiment that happily turned out really well :)

@Chaya – Here is some brown rice syrup. It’s great because it’s all natural and from rice, but really thick and a great binder!

8. I made these, but made some substitutions, this recipe is very flexible! I used Sunbutter in place of peanut butter, I’m sure you can use almond butter as well. I used half quinoa flakes and half gluten free oats (it’s what I had on hand)and palm/coconut sugar in place of the date sugar (again it’s what I had on hand). For the chocolate sauce I used Wax Orchards Classic Chocolate sauce on top…so good and pretty healthy too! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!

9. @Stephanie – Wow, I’m excited and flattered that you tried these your own way! Your version sounds like a ton of fun, did they turn out tasty??

10. Stephanie says:

Are rice flakes like corn flakes? And why do you soak them? This sure looks like a delicious recipe. Definitely bookmarking it!

Love that name, Scotcheroos! And who cares if they’re not crispy–BOY do they look good! ;)

Just Another meatless Monday is rocking this week!! these look so great! Thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday, see you next week!

13. Traci says:

Sounds amazing and healthy! Score! Looks wonderful! Come check out my raspberry oatmeal bars when you get a chance. They are so easy and melt in your mouth!

Traci

14. I’m so excited to see this recipe! My mil is gluten-free and I need some tried and true recipes to have at family parties. Though she may be fighting off the kids with these. :)

15. Oh yes, they came out so good, I’ve been eating a little everyday as a snack or a dessert…so healthy and fiber filled, I don’t feel guilty! They look just like yours, probably taste slightly different since I used sunbutter…such a nice versitile recipe!

They look delicious. I love chocolate and peanut butter. I’ve never used rice flakes. In fact, I don’t think I’ve seen them at the health food store. I’ll have to look for them.

17. How on earth did I miss this recipe? These look amazing, Aubree! I’m at IFBC now. Diane and I flew out together and she brought me a bunch of Jason’s Nut Butters. I’m thinking one of those would be great for this recipe. Maybe the chocolate hazelnut butter? No need for chocolate topping then perhaps. Okay, I realize that last sentence sounds totally crazy, doesn’t it? Chocolate topping is always welcome. ;-) I have not seen rice flakes before.

Delicious! I sometimes buy rice flakes to make granola. This is a great way to use the leftover flakes. Thanks for joining me at Vegetarian Foodie Fridays!

19. This sounds amazing!
    Thanks for linking up!
    ~Liz

20. [...] Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats shared by Living Free [...]

21. [...] {Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies}9. Alea@Gluten-Free Flavor Full (Garlic and Herb Pizza Crust)10. Aubree Cherie (Sugar Free Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treats)11. Jenn Cuisine (Gazpacho Blanco)12. Blueberry Coffee Cake (The Local Cook)13. Lisa @ Our GF [...]