It seems like forever ago now that I saw a recipe from Laura over at Hey What’s for Dinner Mom? that had portabella mushrooms stuffed in a similar fashion. It looked SO tasty. So I decided to make my own version!

Also, as a side note, I was living in the mushroom capital of the world for a whole year and I’m still pretty close to it. Nothing like local mushrooms all year round! I actually was also able to visit one of the premier mushroom farms in the country while I was there – you can read about it on my Horticulture By Heart Blog. I learned so much about mushrooms! (And some of them are really pretty :))

Anyway, back to the food. These are incredibly simple and really filling. You can see by the photos that I served them with baked potato slices, but I could hardly get to the potatoes. The caps and quinoa nice protein packed addition to any meal! (Or AS the meal in my case :))

Quinoa Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms

2 large portabella caps
1/2 cup of quinoa grains w/water for cooking
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 small green pepper
1/2 medium white onion
2 romaine tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tablespoon spice blend (I used Bucks Seasoning, but any sort of seasoning you typically like would work here)

Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees.

Soak the quinoa grains. I always put the grains in a strainer and set the strainer in a bowl of water. This makes it easier to rinse after it has soaked. Set aside.

Cover a small baking sheet (preferably with edges) with aluminum foil. Add a small amount of oil or spray with a non stick spray. (You’ll only need it where you’re going to put the two mushroom caps).

Lightly wash the mushrooms so not to bruise them too much. Remove the stems. Place the top of the cap down so that the fleshy undersides show. Once the oven has preheated, roasted them for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook up the 1/2 cup of quinoa in a small saucepan on the stove. On another burner, add a large skillet and add the oil. While its heating up, coarsely chop up the onion, pepper, and tomatoes then add them to the skillet. Cook them for a total of about ten minutes on medium high, stirring occasionally. Also add the onion powder, salt, and your choice of seasonings as they are cooking. Once the quinoa is cooked, add that to the pan as well.

Once you’ve removed the mushrooms from the oven, let them sit as long as it takes for the veggies and quinoa to cook up. The last part is probably the easier. Scoop the veggie quinoa blend into the mushroom cap. I made mine without cheese, but I sprinkled cheese on for the one I made for a friend.

Put them back into the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Then they’re ready to serve and eat!

This recipe is linked to Just Another Meatless Monday, Meatless Monday, Mouthwatering Mondays, Tasty Tuesdays, Tuesday at the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, and Gluten Free Wednesday, Delicious Dishes, Two for Tuesday, Tuesday Twister, Real Food Wednesday, Wholesome Whole Foods, Food on Fridays, Friday Favorites, Friday Food, Vegetarian Foodie Friday, Foodie Friday, and Fight Back Friday.

24 Responses to Stuff that Portabella! (with quinoa, of course)

1. Stephanie says:

Wow!! Awesome recipe! I love mushrooms, but can never think of anything great to make with them when I do buy them. Going to be making a special trip to the store for some portabellas this weekend for sure!!

2. Angie says:

Wow! Yummy! I love quinoa! Thanks for the great recipe!

3. Alisa says:

I still haven’t used quinoa as a “stuffing” but that does look fabulous!

4. Heather says:

These look SO yummy but my husband hates mushrooms so I’ll have to try them out on a night that he will be at work for sure!

I never think to buy portabella mushrooms but this recipe looks like a good enough reason to do so!

On occasion, I get portabella mushrooms and then, I ponder what to stuff them with. You solved the problem. I would, very much, like to try these, when I remember to buy them again.

Thanks for linking this delicious recipe to My Meatless Mondays. You always bring a treat with you and it is appreciated.

8. SnoWhite says:

oh, my! These look awesome.

9. What a great idea!! I don’t use portabello mushrooms nearly often enough! By making them with this filling you’ve created a complete gluten free meal! Yum!

Yummy! This looks delish and easy. I get portabella mushrooms at the market so I will have to try them. I’ve never actually thought of stuffing them. And I love love love quinoa. Thanks Aubree.

11. girlichef says:

Oooohhhh…I loooove stuffed mushrooms. Although I’d never thought to stuff them with quinoa, I really dig the sound of it. These are beautiful…and I bet very filling, as well. Thank you for sharing them with Two for Tuesdays this week! :)

12. Hi Aubree, this is a very creative recipe and even though its vegetarian, it looks so filling! The meatiness of the portabella with the delicate quinoa really is a great pairing, but I would use olive oil instead of canola I made it because it has a much better lipid profile. Thanks so much for posting on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) Alex@amoderatelife

13. Christy says:

This looks so delicious – I have never cooked a portabella but now I know how I will do it! Thanks for linking to Two for Tuesdays!

14. I just got into cooking quinoa a few weeks back, and once the weather cools a bit and I start cooking more regularly, you can bet I’ll be stuffing it everywhere I can. Thanks for linking up at Two for Tuesday.

15. These look delicious – normally stuffed mushrooms look kind of strange but yours are beautiful! Thanks for sharing another delicious, good for you recipe!

Oh be still my heart this is the best looking recipe I have seen today. At least as far as my tastes and cravings go. YUM! Thanks so much for linking this with me!

17. I love quinoa! Gotta try this one real soon. Looks delicious!

I love mushrooms and these stuffed protabellas look delicious. Unfortunately, most of my family is not very fond of them. Those that do eat them wouldn’t go for big mushrooms. Not yet anyway, but there’s still hope.

19. Sophie says:

I made these as dinner yesterday & they were amazing, filling & ooh so tasty!

I love quinoa spiced up & put into veggies!

A lovely dinner & thanks!

20. [...] Gluten-Free Artichoke & Tomato Salad with Basil Vinaigrette from Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free Quinoa Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms from Living Free Tomato Panzanella Salad from Gluten-Free Life with [...]

21. Ashley says:

Mmm, this was deee-licious!!! I actually cut the recipe in half (and added some minced garlic) for just me. I ended up with twice as much of my quinoa/veggie blend, even when I piled it high over the cap, so I just packed it up for lunch tomorrow. The quinoa was toasty and the flavors blended perfectly! Thank you so much for this amazing recipe! =)

22. [...] Aubree Cherie (Stuffed Portabellas w/Quinoa) [...]

23. [...] Mexican Stuffed Peppers (Grain free!)9. Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken (The Local Cook)10. Aubree Cherie (Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms w/Quinoa)11. Carrie @ Gingerlemongirl.com — French Toast Casserole12. Deanna @ The Mommy Bowl (Vegan [...]

24. [...] found the recipe here. Below is the recipe with my modifications. [...]