This month the theme for Go Ahead Honey It’s Gluten Free is Barbecue Bash by Chandice of Gluten Free Frenzy. I’m just barely sneaking this recipe in, as the deadline is today. That’s how my life has been lately, it’s such a challenge to keep up with things!

This recipe is pretty tasty. I had a hard time not eating the whole batch right when it came out of the oven. I love tofu already but this takes the cake! I typically don’t cook/bake with much processed food, but my mom had given me a bottle of gluten and sugar free ketchup and figured this would be a great opportunity to use it!

Honey BBQ’d Tofu

1 package of extra firm tofu
1/4 cup Organicville brand ketchup (gluten and sugar free)
2 tbs honey
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tbs salt
1/4 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs minced chili pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Remove the tofu from its package, drain it, and pat dry off any extra moisture with a paper towel. On a cutting board, slice the tofu block in half (longways). Then slice the two halves by about a 1/4 inch or less. I basically tried to cut the strips as thinly as possible. The thinner the pieces of tofu are, the crispier they will be after baking them.

In a medium mixing bowl combine the ketchup, honey, apple cider vinegar, onion powder, salt, and garlic powder. On a cutting board, take your fresh chili pepper, strip the seeds from it, and chop as finely as you can. You want it be minced, in a sense. Add the chili pepper to the ketchup sauce. Mix well.

On a large baking sheet (with edges) add 2 tablespoons of oil and spread evenly. Dip the tofu strips into the sauce and lay each onto the pan. Careful not to rip the tofu, I did that with a few of them. Doesn’t change the taste though! :)

Bake the tofu strips for 15 minutes at 350, then turn over and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

Although the pan needs to be scraped off once the tofu is removed (I think it’s because of the honey…), it was worth it! These strips are a mix of sweet and savory, plus they’re crispy on the edges!

This recipe is linked to My Meatless Mondays, Mouthwatering Monday, Just Another Meatless Monday, Delicious Dishes, Tuesday Twister, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesdays, and Vegetarian Foodie Fridays.

15 Responses to Honey BBQ’d Tofu

Yummy! I love tofu with BBQ sauce. This looks yummy. I totally missed Go Ahead Honey this month. Woops! It’s been crazy for me too.

2. Angie says:

Hey, found your blog through MMM. I am going to be honest: I’ve never had tofu before; there is something about it. But I may just give these a try because they look so appetizing!

Ohhh these look crispy yummy! I love the crunchy edges. Have you ever frozen and pressed tofu?

Thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday, can’t wait to see what you bring to the table next week!

You make my life difficult, friend. I won’t eat tofu. Each time, I see a recipe, I say, with honest intent, I will try it and then I can’t do it. This is the best yet, I think. IT looks fantastic but I do’t believe, I will make it. Shame on me.

Thanks for linking it up for those more mature people at My Meatless Mondays.

5. I normally try to disguise tofu in stir fries etc but your barbecue sauce sounds so yummy I think it may finally give me the courage to stop doing that. What lovely flavors you have used!

6. The Girl says:

My mouth is watering! Thank you for sharing, I can’t wait to try this!

7. Olivia says:

Sounds great! Yummy and healthy!

I really want to try this. It would probably work with any BBQ sauce.

Well, if you’re going to eat tofu, that looks like a tasty way to do it. I’m off soy now, though.

10. Sophie says:

You made a great vegetarian dish!! Waw!! This honey barbequed tofu looks amazing,…really!

MMMMMMMMMM,…great flavours here!

11. I’d say you have made some tofu lovers very, very happy! ;-)

xo,

Wow! You are so lucky they turned out – I did something like this once and they totally fell apart. I must not have used the right consistency of tofu or something. Thanks for the great recipe!

13. Beth says:

YUM!!!!! The perfect holiday weekend dish…

14. Yum!
    Thanks for linking up!
    ~Liz

15. [...] and Vegetable Curry)18. Ricki @ Diet Dessert & Dogs–Zucchini Pie w/ Potato Crust 19. Aubree Cherie (Honey BBQ’d Tofu)20. Olivia@Of Such is the Kingdom (Hubby’s Faves)21. Winnie@Healthy Green Kitchen (Nectarines [...]