Weekly updates from Living Free

Granted, this post is a little late. I made this when mulberry ‘season’ was just finishing up and strawberries were still in full swing. But as with a lot of my recipes, I don’t feel like I’m sharing anything ground breaking. My goals with this blog continue to be the same; I want to share what fun I’m having but I also want to inspire (if at all possible.) So yes, I’m sorry this isn’t directly applicable at the moment, as these fruits are locally long gone.

That doesn’t take away the fact that I have mulberry and strawberry jam at the ready in my fridge right now though :D

I got the mulberries myself, which wasn’t that hard. I took a large bowl outside and shook the tree branches above it. I did loose some on the ground that way, but it didn’t take much to load up the bowl. Just watch out for spiders and other fun creatures! I also didn’t take the time to remove the small green stem that is attached to the fruit. You can’t tell in this jam. (Sometimes being lazy is okay, right?)

Sugar Free Mulberry (or Strawberry) Jam

1 cup berries
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 cup of water
3 to 4 tbsp honey (to taste – can be optional)

In a medium saucepan, add the water and unflavored gelatin. Turn to medium heat once the gelatin is dissolved and mixed well with the water.

While the water and gelatin are heating up, mash the cup of berries. I used my salsa express and basically ended up with a puree.

Once the water starts to boil on the stove, add the honey. Once you get a rolling boil going, stir continually for about 5 minutes. Then add the fruit puree and stir continually for another 5 minutes. Pour into jars and let them cool for about an hour before moving them to the fridge or before officially canning them.

You can probably guess that I did a couple batches from the images, although I suggest doing each batch separately so that the gelatin sets properly. I tried one double batch and it didn’t set as well as two batches done separately.

I highly recommend eating the mulberry jam with peanut butter. Tasty :)

(Yes, this is a gluten free bagel :))

This recipe is linked to Just Another Meatless Monday, My Meatless Mondays, Mouthwatering Monday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesday at the Table, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Delicious Dishes, Gluten Free Wednesday, Wholesome Whole Foods, Foodie Friday, Grocery Cart Recipe Challenge, Food on Friday, Fight Back Friday, I’m Lovin’ It, and Vegetarian Foodie Friday.

21 Responses to Sugar Free Mulberry Jam (and Strawberry too!)

1. Sara says:

Oh my gosh that looks heavenly. I’m thinking about trying jam along with fruit butter for Christmas gifts this year. I’m just waiting for the plums and apples on my in-laws’ trees.

2. April Harris says:

Your jams look and sound delicious – and do-able! I’ve always hesitated to try making my own jam, but I think I’ll give it a try. Thanks for sharing your recipe. (I love the idea of mulberry jam and peanut butter too!)

3. Megan says:

I love to make jam and I really need to try some sugar free ones. These jams look wonderful!

I have been afraid to make jams but you make it look so easy that I might just try this. Thanks for linking this to My Meatless Mondays. I appreciate your commitment to linking up.

The gelatin is a good idea. Usually you need the sugar to help it jell up.

6. Alea says:

I enjoy making sugar free jam. I am getting ready to make some strawberry gooseberry jam sweetened with honey this week.

7. We did make jams and such when I was a child. I’d love to do something like this again.

Thank you for sharing and I love that it’s sugar free!

Aloha
    Que Sera Sera

8. I made strawberry freezer jam last summer and was horrified by the amount of sugar. You’ve inspired me to rethink my approach.

9. You’ve restored my confidence in the younger generation…:) So many people don’t make jams, jellies, etc b/c it’s so easy to run to the store. Thanks for a great recipe!

Jason

10. These jams looks great. Thanks for sharing and linking to TMTT.

That looks so delicious. I’ve never had mulberries.

12. Kate says:

Your jams look wonderful. I haven’t made jam in quite awhile…you have motivated me!

13. zentMRS says:

Looks delicious! I am just starting canning and am looking for good recipes. Thanks for sharing!

14. [...] 3. Real Fresh Food 4. Italian Wedding Soup 5. April@ 21st Century Housewife (Healthy Eton Mess) 6. Aubree Cherie (Sugar Free Mulberry and Strawberry Jam) 7. Tara @ Feels Like Home (Tangy Pan- Fried [...]

I will only eat homemade jam. I grew up on it and just can’t bring myself to buy it. This recipe looks delicious. Thanks for sharing at Vegetarian Foodie Fridays.

16. Christine says:

I think I’m going to try making this. Do you think it’ll work with blueberries? (I bought a 4 lb box of blueberries on a whim and now I need a find a way to eat them all before they go bad and/or I leave for my trip on Monday.) How long does the jam last in the fridge for without officially canning it?

17. Thanks everyone for stopping by! I was definitely excited that it turned out so well without the sugar.

@Christine I think trying it with blueberries is a grand idea! I was thinking about trying that myself actually.

As for the jam lasting in the fridge, I’m not entirely sure because I actually either canned or froze mine at the beginning. I would say probably 2 weeks? Not sure :-/ Sorry about that!

~Aubree Cherie

18. Christine says:

I’m actually trying this jam with some cherries I have, so we’ll see how it turns out. I’m pretty excited! :)

19. That jam looks delicious!
    Thanks for linking up!
    ~Liz

20. [...] Jenn Cuisine (Coconut Iced Tea/Coffee)8. Frugal Family Manager (Cheesy Beef & Potato Bake)9. Aubree Cherie (Sugar Free Mulberry and Strawberry Jam)10. Ashlie@Delshadduo (Coconut Ice Cream with Caramelized Bananas)11. Katrina @ Gluten Free Gidget- [...]

21. [...] Jenn Cuisine (Coconut Iced Tea/Coffee)8. Frugal Family Manager (Cheesy Beef & Potato Bake)9. Aubree Cherie (Sugar Free Mulberry and Strawberry Jam)10. Ashlie@Delshadduo (Coconut Ice Cream with Caramelized Bananas)11. Katrina @ Gluten Free Gidget- [...]