A while back, I hosted the Blogger Secret Ingredient, which is a weekly blog roundup that filters through many foodie blogs. I chose the ingredient cashews; because who doesn’t love them? (I suppose that’s rhetorical; especially because many of my family members are allergic! ;)) Anyway, Alisa from Go Dairy Free and One Frugal Foodie submitted some very tantalizing cookies make with cashews. I’ve had it on my list since then and never stopped thinking about them! All I can say it, it was worth the wait.

Unfortunately, by the time I got around to making these, I didn’t have any cashews! So I made a few substitutions such as using almonds instead, but regardless these turned out fantastic!

(and sorry about the photos… I only had my small camera and I made these at night…)

Maple Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies

½ cup almond meal
1 cup brown rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ cup tapioca flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
½ tsp salt
1/3 cup coconut oil, softened
6 tbsp real maple syrup
3 tbsp palm sugar
2 tsp warm water
4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate bars

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond meal, flours, baking powder, xanthum gum, and salt together. I used a whisk. I typically like to sift my flour mixes, but the almond meal is too coarse to do that with. Set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, add the softened coconut oil (a few seconds in the microwave usually does it for me), maple syrup, palm sugar and warm water. Mix together well. Set aside.

Using a cutting board, chop the baking chocolate into small pieces according to what you like. Try and cut them as small as possible because it distributes  the flavor better. I simply used a knife and basically shaved at the blocks of chocolate. It doesn’t take as long as it sounds, I promise! :) Add the pieces to the dry mix and combine well.

Beat the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until the batter is evenly mixed. Spray a large cookie sheet with non-stick spray. When you’re figuring how much batter to use keep in mind that the cookie that you put on the tray will not spread very much at all. So shape the batter into what you want the cookie to look like! I actually used a cookie scoop that my mom had (I made these when I was at home in NY) and I would say it was just over a tablespoon in volume. The cookies that I made were about an inch and a half in diameter.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes. I did mine for 20 minutes, but I would recommend keeping a close eye after the 15 minute mark.

I’m in love with these cookies. I’ve been trying really hard since making them to not make them again (a whole batch of cookies for one tempted foodie is not a good idea! :))

This recipe is linked to Meatless Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Just Another Meatless Monday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Delicious Dishes, Two for Tuesday, and Gluten Free Wednesday.

22 Responses to Maple Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies (sugar, dairy, and gluten free)

1. Alisa says:

Ooh, I’m so glad you liked the recipe! Looks like they turned out well with almonds too. Hmm, your making me hungry for cookies!

2. Thanks Alisa! It’s a great recipe, I was so happy when you submitted it. Since I haven’t tried it with the cashews I’m not sure how they would compare; but I do know its fantastic with almonds! :)

~Aubree Cherie

Yum! I LOVE maple syrup. These look great Aubree. I recently found a recipe for homemade chocolate chips – basically just cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla, and coconut oil. Easy and delicious. They would go great in this cookie!

These look really delicious! So many things I avoid when I’m being good (coconut, almonds, and maple syrup are all bad for my head) but all things that would make me so happy to eat anyway!

5. April Harris says:

Wow, these sound delicious. It amazes me how something that sounds that good can be sugar, dairy and gluten free – it’s wonderful!

6. Alta says:

Wow, so delicious! I think these need to make an appearance in my kitchen.

7. Ooh, deeeelishhhh!!! Will have to try these :) yumm yumm

8. Ok, I may just have to make these tonight! I am such a fan of…well pretty much all of those ingredients!

OH YEAH!! these look so great-I like to pass on your recipes to a gluten free friend-thanks!

Thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday!

There isn’t much better than chocolate chip cookies and you made them better.

11. Noelle says:

I made these too! So good! I ran out so I am giong to have to make another batch!

12. Megan says:

I’m always glad to find a good looking recipe that will not make me feel sick after! Thank you for the great ideas!

13. Olivia says:

These sound good. I always love chocolate chip cookies!
    And you’re invited to Of Such is the Kingdom’s first birthday blog bash! We’re digging up old posts and giving out tons of prizes. Come on over!
    suchakingdom.blogspot.com

I think the picture is fine. They look delicious! I love using maple syrup.

15. girlichef says:

Oh! Such delicious goodies packed into these cookies…they sound so tasty! Thanks so much for sharing them with Two for Tuesdays =)

16. Christy says:

Some of my best cooking happens when I run out of an ingredient – these looks sinfully delish! Thank you for linking to Two for Tuesdays!

17. Hey Aubree! It is always a miracle to me to see someone bake something so delicious and so gluten free! Very cool! Thanks for sharing on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) Alex@amoderatelife

18. I’m a celiac, and an always very excited to see gf recipes submitted to Two for Tuesday. Thank you for linking up.

19. Reshmi says:

hey aubree!! first time here. I’ve tried making chocolate chips but now it’s time to add some almonds to them..
    the cookies seems to be crispy. perfect for snacking!!

20. Looks very delectable!
    Thanks for linking up!
    ~Liz

21. Aubree – these look great! I can’t tell from the picture – are they soft or crisp? I can’t wait to try them!