Email updates from Living Free

Please Re-Subscribe to my blog feed, I had to reset it! (Erg)

(Be sure to check out the progress photos at the end of this post)

I did take two years of French in high school, but in terms of knowing how to cook French food I’m not exactly an expert. When I found out about this months theme for Go Ahead Honey Its Gluten Free; ‘Ooh La La Bastille Day’, I wasn’t sure what to do. How do you make French food (traditionally know for its bread, cheese, and sweets) without gluten, dairy, or sugar? I was pretty stumped. So I looked around at traditional recipes and almost went for french onion soup. But I was afraid that might be too easy. So I went with the French Onion Tart, which is typically with heavy cream and cheese.

Instead of using anything to replace the cheese, I used bits of potato. The texture is remarkable. If really feels like you’re biting into a pie filled with cheese; I couldn’t believe it! I’ve been gobbing this up like nobody’s business.

French Onion Tart

1 large potato
3 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1/3 tsp sweet basil
2 pinches black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

First start by chopping the onions. I cut sliced them horizontally and then cut the ‘circles’ in half. Add them to a large frying pan with the oil. Let them saute on medium for 15 to 20 minutes total, flipping/stirring occasionally. (You want them to be clear and starting to brown on the edges.)

Work on the crust while the onions are cooking. To make the crust, combine the first 4 ingredients and sift to ensure no clumps. Then add the almond butter, canola oil, and liquid stevia. Once its combined well, spray your pie dish (I used about an 8″ diameter glass pan). Spread the dough into the pie dish so that it has even thickness throughout. (Here’s a trick.. I kept my hands wet to do this; continually dipping them in water as I spread the dough. Otherwise the batter will stick to your fingers.)

Bake the crust at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes (maybe a little less). Remove it from the oven after its baked and set aside.

Peel and wash the potato. Finely chop the potato so that its in very small pieces. I used my hand crank food processor, so an electric food processor on a low setting could probably work. Set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs for about a minute. Add the chopped potatoes, almond milk, salt, sweet basil leaves, black pepper, and onion powder. Mix well. Pour this mixture into the pie crust. When the onions are finished cooking, add them to the top of the top of the filling.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until the crust begins to deeply brown on the edges. (The onions will have deepened their brown color as well.)

I used a pan that is a bit smaller than the other average pie pan (about 8 inches in diameter) and so had enough batter and onions to make 6 mini onion tarts. I simply sprayed 6 paper muffin papers, filled them, and baked them like cupcakes!  Bake these only for 35 minutes.

Did you miss any of my posts from last week? See Cherry Salsa Glazed Chicken, Chicken Pot Pie: A Review, or How to Cook Daylilies.

(Here are some progress photos, to show you how I did it! :))

This recipe is linked to Meatless Mondays, Mouthwatering Mondays, Just another Meatless Monday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Two for Tuesday, Delicious Dishes, Gluten Free Wednesday, Foodie Friday, Friday Favorites, Food on Friday, Fight Back Friday, Wholesome Whole Foods, and Simply Hot Recipes.

26 Responses to French Onion Tart

1. Sara says:

Those photos are beautiful. The tart looks amazing – I may have to tackle that one.

I totally want to make this! I discovered when I made my tuna burgers that adding potatoes made it taste cheesy, but you’re the only other person I’ve heard mention it.

3. That looks amazing! I love anything with onions! I will even eat them raw, much to my husband’s disgust! This looks like it would be a diet-buster, but the ingredients say other-wise! Will be trying this one for sure!

4. I’ve never had French Onion soup (I know, I know) but I love this pie version! I need to try both soon!

this is so great looking Aubree-you ALWAYS bring new and interesting things to the table!! Thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday.

6. Liberty says:

YUMMY! I think that’ looks like a breakfast dish – for grownups of course! LIB

7. Oh my gosh. That sounds so good.
    I would never have thought to sub potatoes for cheese! The pictures make this dish even more irresistible!

8. girlichef says:

Oh, I’m so intrigued…potatoes passing themselves off as cheese…awesome! LOL, this sounds delicious and thanks so much for sharing it with Two for Tuesdays this week =)

9. Bethany says:

I love onion tarts and you definitely have me intrigued with your idea to substitute potatoes for the cheese – I wonder if that would work in other recipes as well…?

10. So clever to add that potato. I’m gf, but not df. But I have dear family members that are far more restricted. I’ll be sure to pass this along. Thank you for linking up at Two for Tuesday.

11. Alea says:

This sounds awesome! I can’t wait to try it with onions, potatoes, and basil from my garden. YUM!

What a great idea–it looks absolutely gorgeous. Must try this one!!

13. Thanks everyone! You’re definitely going to have to try the potato idea. I’m glad you said you’ve had a similar experience Iris, it really was put in the recipe as a ‘bulker’ ingredient, I was so pleasantly surprised! I hope to try it with a few other recipes now too and see how it goes :)

And also a HUGE THANKS for the kind words about my photos. I’ve been trying to learn more about taking decent pictures. I know I have a long way to go, but you’re comments are so encouraging :)

~Aubree Cherie

14. Christy says:

Wow this looks so yummy . I love the addition of potatoes – my son is df and this would be perfect. Thanks for linking to Two for Tuesday!

15. I adore french food in general, but I have a passion for cooked onions. The flavor is so sweet and spicey at the same time! Very glad you shared this Aubree on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) Alex

I am so an onion fan. Just put onions in and I have to try it. I want to see how my day goes and if I have time, this is on the agenda. Today is baking day so I have to sneak this in. If I do, I will let you know. Another winner from Aubre.

Thanks for linking this fabulous recipe to My Meatless Mondays.

I love onions too, and I just got some in my CSA box today. This looks delicious! Great job making it dairy free.

18. [...] LINKY 2. Alex@A Moderate Life- healthy chocolate chip cookies 3. Mixed Greens Master Mix 4. Aubree Cherie (French Onion Tart – Gluten and Dairy Free) 5. Baked Chicken Tenders @ Gettin’ Healthy [...]

19. Yum!
    Thanks for linking up!
    ~Liz

I’ve never seen one of these before. Sounds interesting! And the photos look really good.

Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites!

21. [...] shared a yummy gluten-free french onion tart and how you can make [...]

Wow, look a that tart! It’s a stunner. Your pictures are really coming along. Great recipe, I bet is oh so good.

23. Stephanie says:

I was thinking of making french onion mini-tarts for a T-day appetizer… Never would’ve thought of potato – great idea! It sounds like a box grater would do an adequate job with the potatoes – do you think? or would the bits be too small?

• @ Stephanie – a grater would work fine! Even a food processor will do the trick. The only concern with potato pieces might be that they are too large, I think the smaller you can get the pieces to be, the better! :)

24. Stephanie says:

thank you thank you! I used glutenfreegirl’s vegan pie dough recipe (which I’d wanted an excuse to try) and used Cook’s Illustrated’s hours-long(!) method for French onion soup to make the onions, but I relied heavily on your great ideas to actually put it all together. The potato filling works beautifully (and stretched the 3lbs of onion I cooked down so I managed to fill all 18 mini-tarts).

25. [...] Cream Tart)8. Michelle @ HFL: Crystallized Ginger, Ginger Tea and Ginger-Honey Lollipops9. Aubree Cherie (French Onion Tart – Gluten and Dairy Free)10. Finding Joy in My Kitchen (Zucchini “Pizza”)11. Vegetable Vindaloo (The Local [...]