Cherry’s are in season here in the central part of the east coast, which makes life pretty darn awesome for us cherry lovers (hence ‘seasoned’ in the title, hehe). I have to be honest though, if I buy a bag of cherries they are unlikely to make it into a recipe. They just don’t last that long! However, I got a box of cherries in my CSA box and so I decided to force myself to save them for something new and interesting.

I used to hate salsa. (I hated a lot of food as a child – thank goodness I’ve come around!) Now I eat salsa whenever I can. Mostly because its an easy way to add flavor AND veggies to a dish that may be wanting in either of the two. But I also get bored with the same old styles. So I decided to make mine a bit ‘fruity’ and see how I liked it.

The verdict: Why can’t cherry’s ALWAYS be in season? (AKA, I LOVE it! :D)

Sweet and Spicy Cherry Salsa

1 1/2 cups stemmed semi-sweet cherries (or bing works excellent!)
1/2 large yellow onion
1 large green pepper
2 large romaine tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sweet basil leaves
pinch cayenne
Optional: 5 drops of almond extract

(Some of the ingredients in the Salsa Express)

Wash the cherries. To pit them, I just ripped them in half. You’re going to chop them up anyway, so don’t worry about keeping them pretty. Add them to a food processor or my ever so popular Salsa Express! I love this thing. (Popular in my mind anyway :)). Turn the crank until the bits of cherries are to the size of your liking.

Next wash and chop up the onion, pepper, and tomatoes. Add them to the salsa express and continue cranking. I then added the salt, cayenne pepper, sweet basil leaves, and almond extract directly in the chopper, cranking it just a few more times. Then I dumped it out into a large mixing bowl and continued to combine it, just to be sure there wasn’t a clunk of salt somewhere or something.

And that’s it! The flavors are fantastic. Even though its obviously best eaten with chips, I’ve been eating it with a fork right out of the bowl :) It will also taste better the longer you leave it in the fridge because the flavors will really have a chance to meld that way.

The best part? The colors I think. This is one sexy salsa :)

PrintPrint Get a PDF  version of this webpage PDF

This recipe is linked to Just Another Meatless Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Meatless Monday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays Tuesdays at the Table, Tasty Tuesday, Delicious Dishes, Tuesday Twister, Local Potluck Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Foodie Friday, Friday Favorites, Food on Friday, Friday Foodie Fix – Cherries, Wholesome Whole Foods, the Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap, Fight Back Friday, Mom Trends Recipe’s, and Foodie Friday Fix.

44 Responses to Seasoned Sweet and Spicy Salsa: Very Cherry!

1. Jenn says:

I’ve never seen cherries in salsa before, this is just beautiful!! I know of a LOT of family / friends who would just love this, I think I will make it for our next get together!

2. Sophie says:

What a divine cherry salsa this is!!!

The colour of this salsa looks stunning too!

You have a COOL foodblog!!

3. Sara says:

Funny I’m posting a fruit salsa recipe in a day or two – great minds think alike!

This looks delicious!

Ooh, I never would have thought to add cherries to a salsa! I’ve had mango and strawberry salsa, but what a great new idea!

5. FUN! I’ve had tons of fruit salsas but never cherry salsa!

I am a salsa addict and have been for as long as I can remember, could have something to do with being a Texan ;-)

Cherries are one of my favorite fruits and they don’t last long around my house either ;-)

6. Heather says:

I just love fruit salsas, but I never thought of trying cherries! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I must try this one soon.

7. Katie says:

This looks amazing!! What a unique combo!
    Have some extra cherries in the fridge… I will have to try this!

8. I’ve never heard of cherries in a salsa, I can’t wait to try this! I love cherry anything and everything!

Thanks for linking such a creative and tempting delight to My Meatless Mondays.

Is it me and I have not noticed or are those badges relatively new? Either way, I am taking the glutenfree one for Comfy Cook.

10. That is beautiful salsa, Aubree! I’m imagining the flavors. I love peach and mango salsa, and sometimes the two together, so why not cherries? Love it!

11. Sherry says:

Love eating fruit salsas, although I have to admit that I’ve never had one with cherries in it! It sounds delish! :D

Thanks for sharing!
    Sherry

Cherries NEVER make it anywhere besides a BIG bowl and into my mouth :) fantastic recipe!

Thanks for linking up with Just Another Meatless Monday, can’t wait to see what you bring to the table next week!

13. SnoWhite says:

oh… yum :) We love cherries here, and I’ve had cherry salsa before — can’t wait to try making this!!

14. Traci says:

That looks so good! Hey, I eat (or try to) gluten and sugar free. Should I be choosing DAIRY FREE as well? Please give me some insight. I’m totally subscribing to your blog! First time here! Thanks.

15. Felicia says:

This looks gorgeous and delicious!!

16. Thanks all for the comments! :)

@Traci – Thanks for stopping by for your first time! Dairy free is a choice that I’ve made primarily because of how it affects me. It gives me some stomach/digestion issues as well as horrible acne breakouts. I personally feel that its only processed dairy that bothers me, but for now I’m just avoiding it all as a personal choice. Everyone’s bodies are so different that I’d hate to suggest what would be best for you without knowing your situation! :)

~Aubree Cherie

17. Oh my gosh!! This salsa looks awesome!!! I have had a cranberry salsa before and your recipe reminds me of that – with the exception of exchanging the cranberries for cherries. YUM! Thanks for the recipe and linking to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

18. TIa says:

Hi Aubree,

I, like a lot of people I see, have had other fruit salsas, but I have never seen or had a cherry one. Thinking about it, I can almost taste the flavors. It is wonderful in my mind. I just have to believe it will be even better in real life. I am definitely going to try this if we get more cherries.

Our CSA c gets here Friday. I’ll let you know about the zucchini. But I have a feeling we are far apart, distance wise.

Tia

19. TIa says:

I don’t know what that ‘phone your blog’ thing is on my comment or how to get rid of it. Sorry.

20. Alea says:

Now I am so mad at myself for not buying the big flat of cherries at Trader Joe’s yesterday! They looked so good, but I could not link of enough ways to use them up before they would turn. I hope they still have cherries when I go back on Friday.

21. Betheny says:

Yummm! Perefct time of year for this recipe, as i live in the cherry capitol of the world! I have been wondering about this question on many whole food recipes that i am learning, so now seems like a good time to ask….I love the idea of eating as much raw food as possible, but what does anyone think of canning these types of food, so they can be enjoyed all year….Does it totally destory the good stuff? All advice is welcome! Thx!!

That looks so tasty! The only thing I don’t like in the ingredient list is green peppers. I think I would have to sub yellow or orange. I hope I get more cherries in my CSA box tomorrow.

23. Joyce says:

This sounds like a good spin on cherries and I am going to make this for my weekend company.

24. Wow that looks so colourful and bright! Sounds really yummy too! Thanks for linking up to Wholesome Whole Foods!

25. Oh my, this looks so good to me right now. I will be picking up some more cherries today. Maybe I’ll get extra so the teens can have some, too. I love fruit salsas, but never thought of cherries.
    Wendy

26. [...] 8. Penniless Parenting- Delicious Food Scraps 9. See How They Grow10. ~ Cornbread Muffins~ 11. Aubree Cherie @ Living Free (Sweet and Spicy Cherry Salsa) 12. Kohlrabi with Peas and Potato (The Local Cook) 13. Family Camping Handbook w/Real Food (Katie @ [...]

27. zentMRS says:

Looks just delicious! I will be saving this one!

Thanks for sharing!

28. angie says:

sounds delicious I can see this going with so many different things thanks for sharing

29. Wow, how creative. I’m going to make this tonight with my leftover cherries instead of a pie. I’m going to try it with my dinner and see how it works. Thank you for sharing it on Friday Foodie Fix.

30. .ambre. says:

So beautiful! I think I will have to dig some cherries out of the freezer and give this a whirl. Thanks for sharing!

31. .ambre. says:

Did you mean Romaine tomatoes or Roma tomatoes? Just curious as I’ve never heard of the one! Thanks!

32. [...] Sweet and Spicy Cherry Salsa (you’ve had peach salsa, you’ve had mango salsa, you’ve had peach-mango salsa, [...]

33. [...] I can’t seem to fix it)   Grilled Chicken with Peach Salad shared by Singing with Birds Cherry Salsa shared by Living Free   Triple Berry Trifle shared by Life in Rehab   Now, it’s your turn to share your Delicious [...]

34. Wow, great idea! Sounds Devine…x

What a fantastic looking salsa!

Thanks for stopping by for Friday Favorites!

36. [...] posted a great recipe for a spicy cherry salsa! It looks really [...]

37. [...] posted a great recipe for a spicy cherry salsa! It looks really [...]

38. Carol says:

I made this the other day. Very unique blend of flavors – so fresh tasting and flavorful. I love out of the ordinary recipes like this. Thanks for sharing.

39. @Carol Thanks! I’m so glad you were able to try it and liked it! It’s my new favorite salsa, hands down :)

~Aubree Cherie

40. [...] Cherry Salsa sounds so good. I think it would go well with my Spring Rolls I made last [...]

41. [...] Sweet and Spicy Cherry Salsa from Living Free [...]