This past couple of weeks I’ve been trying some of other bloggers recipes, primarily from my Top Ten Tuesday lists; it’s fun! A while back, Chaya from My Sweet and Savory made some Corn Pancakes and they were the inspiration for this recipe. Definitely get over to Chaya’s blog and check out her recipe too.

I’ve needed comfort food lately; things that are easy to whip up that taste good. I haven’t had much of an appetite either (stress does that to me) and so I have to really make sure it tastes good to trick myself into eating :P

Kickin’ Corn Patties

2 cups of frozen corn
½ small sweet white onion
2 eggs
1 tbsp Briggs Amino Acids
¼ tsp xanthan gum
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp Bucks Seasoning*
¼ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp dried sweet basil leaves
Pinch cayenne pepper
¼ cup of white rice flour
Oil for frying

I have a neat little thing called a salsa express. It’s sort of like a food processor, but it leaves things a lot coarser; plus its a manual crank. (Perfect for extra frustrations that may need to be expelled! :)) This is what I used for these corn patties. I’m not entirely sure how a food processor would compare. If you have one with a lot of options on it, I would recommend using the lowest setting and it should do the trick. Or I bet these would be just as good if the ‘batter’ was more finely combined.

Add the corn and mix for a few minutes (I used the corn right out of the freezer, it worked good that way!) Then with each ingredient following, I added it, mixed it for a few turns (5 to 10 seconds). I did add the seasoning all together at once, which seemed to work great. I mixed it for about 30 seconds at the end too after all the ingredients were there.

Then I added about 1 tablespoon of canola oil to a frying pan on medium/high heat. Each patty took about 6 minutes to fry up. The first side I left for 4 minutes and then flipped it over for two minutes. Let them cool before you put them in the fridge, but if you don’t plan on saving some for later, you can eat them up right away!

I’ve been eating this all week. Some I froze and some I only put in the fridge. They hold together well, so they do well with reheating. They’d make the perfect side dish I’m sure, but I’ve just been eating them with a small serving of plain quinoa and that’s enough for me!

PrintPrint Get a PDF  version of this webpage PDF

*Bucks seasoning is this stuff my mom buys for me from upstate NY; the land of hunting. So yes, buck does refer to a deer. I don’t typically eat venison myself, but this seasoning is pretty tasty! I would recommend using a grill blend or one of your favorite seasoning blends in place of this for the recipe. Or you could omit it too, there are lots of other tasty flavors to be had in these patties!

This recipe is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Mouthwatering Mondays, Meatless Monday, Just Another Meatless Monday, Real Food Wednesdays, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Friday Favorites, Foodie Friday, Food on Fridays and Friday Food.

18 Responses to Kickin’ Corn Patties

Love the title for these! :) This is something I can see my parents really enjoying since I’m doing a lot of cooking for them while I’m home this summer. Might try this soon…

2. These look good! I can’t imagine not wanting to eat when stressed! (as I have the opposite problem! :)) Consider it a blessing :)

Ari

Ariana Anderson
    The Frugally Rich Life (GF, dairy-free, sugar-free recipes + frugality)

Thanks for the shout out. I just posted my version on Our Krazy Kitchen. Great minds.

Yours look fantastic. What does the xanthan gum do in a fritter. I may use it in cakes but I don’t in pancakes and the like. Maybe, I should be.

I am so glad you made these and your version looks great and thanks for linking it to My Meatless Mondays.

4. These look fantastic, Aubree! I love corn in anything and put in a cake like this … well, YUM. :-) I’ll make them without xanthan gum or Braggs and maybe some different seasonings and let you know what we think. I anticipate a new favorite side dish! ;-)

5. Hi Chaya, in an attempt to answer your question about xanthan gum – here I go… :)

I’ve been making a lot of different patties lately and they tend to fall apart. I thought maybe this would help them hold together better. Part of me thinks it didn’t make a difference though.

I’ll be anxious to see how yours turn out Shirley without the xanthan gum! :)

~Aubree Cherie

It looks tasty! I generally wouldn’t put any gum in this type of recipe, but it certainly doesn’t hurt. Thanks for linking to Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

Yeah these look like a good use for leftover corn that needs to be used up!
    Thanks for swinging in to Just Another Meatless Monday

8. Alea says:

These look delicious and filling. My oldest is doing research all summer in the biochem lab for her senior thesis. She is definitely stressed and keeps forgetting to eat. This recipe should tempt her!

9. I bet those would be good with breakfast instead of hashbrowns!!

10. girlichef says:

YUM!!! I MUST make these pronto…they look and sound out of this world =)

11. Alison says:

I’m going to have to try these. They look really tasty! My daughter loves corn, so I’m going to be adding this recipe to my meal plan soon!

12. Wow, these look and sounds fabulous! Can not wait to try. This may sound odd but I think they would be great w/ maple syrup!

13. Rustown Mom says:

Love these – my mother used to make them with leftover corn from dinner. I can still taste them – savory and sweet. Thanks for the recipe – will try it. (:

14. [...] Food Bank Garden (Moms Magic) 5. April@ The 21st Century Housewife (Sirloin and Asparagus Salad) 6. Aubree Cherie @ Living Free (Kickin’ Corn Patties) 7. Caesar Salad w/ Flank Steak Burgers & Garlic [...]

15. Ann Kroeker says:

Corn patties…those look satisfying. I don’t have all those ingredients, like “Buck seasoning,” but maybe I can make something similar?

16. Joyce says:

Bucks seasoning is one I have not heard about before. Nothing like comfort food.

This sounds right up my alley! Yum!

Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

18. [...] (gf, sf &df blueberry cornmeal cake)24. Iris of The Daily Dietribe (Sweet Sesame Noodles)25. Aubree Cherie @ Living Free (Kickin’ Corn Patties)26. Ari@TheFrugallyRichLife (Ice-Cold Lemonade! Calorie/Sugar Free!27. Jess @ ATX Gluten-Free [...]