Email updates from Living Free

These are fun to have as a snack! They’re mostly sweet, but they aren’t too sweet. More of a sweet bar with a kick of savory. I love the rich dark color as well.

Okay, but I’ll be the first to admit that the photo’s aren’t the greatest. In fact, I had a really hard time taking them. I think it was because they were so dark and there are so many different elements that the ‘bites’ sort of blend together. I hope that even though they’re hard to see that you can imagine how they taste, which is really good! :)

Instead of using oats, I tried a puffed grain instead; millet. I’m sure it would be just as tasty with a puffed rice or similar, but I happened to have puffed millet on hand. The best thing about this is all the nutrients! All the dried fruit, seeds, and nuts are perfect for giving you a lasting energy kick (it worked that way for me anyway :)).

Gluten Free Granola Bar Bites

2 tbs honey
2 tbs blackstrap molasses
2 tbs brown rice syrup
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
5 drops liquid stevia

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

Mix together, in a large mixing bowl, the puffed millet, ground flax meal, and almond meal. Then add all the dry additional ingredients; chai seeds, raisins, peanuts, and sunflower seeds. In a small mixing bowl, add the oil, honey, molasses, and brown rice syrup. Mix those together well before adding the stevia, vanilla, and peanut butter. Mix those in well too.

The order that you mix probably isn’t that important. Whats important is that you mix it all together well.

It will be somewhat crumbly when you’re done mixing it up; but that’s okay. To make them bite size (well, I would take 3 to 5 bites to finish each one…) I put cupcake papers into my muffin pan and filled the bottom of each paper with about 1/2 an inch of the ‘batter’. Don’t forget to spray the paper with a baking or cooking spray; if you don’t the paper may stick. Wet your fingers and press the batter together so that is becomes rather dense.

Bake them for about 20 minutes, but keep an eye on them. It’s better to have them slightly ‘under baked’ than to have them burn on the edges. One of my pans got slightly overdone and it didn’t taste as well as the other pan. The important thing with the baking is that you let them cool in the cupcake papers for a few hours on the counter to let them dry out slightly so they become crunchy on the edges (they’ll be chewy on the inside though). Then you can remove the paper and store them either in an air tight container on the counter or in the fridge.

I took these granola bar bites on a recent trip that involved plane rides and hotel rooms. They worked great! Not only because I had a tasty snack, but they also gave me energy when I wasn’t able to eat other things (like crackers on the plane or the complimentary cheese and cracker plates at the conference). I hope I can make them again soon! (Because I’m already out! :))

This recipe is linked to Just Another Meatless Monday, Meatless Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays – Healthy Snack Addition, Wholesome Whole Foods, Foodie Friday, Food on Fridays, Friday Favorites, and Friday Foodie Fix – Sunflower seeds.

16 Responses to Granola Bar Bites (sans granola)

1. Jenn says:

This looks gorgeous! I recently discovered the awesomeness of puffed millet, I will be using it again for sure!

I keep saying, I am going to make granola and then I don’t do it. I have no idea why when it looks so good—yes, it looks so good.

Thanks for linking this up to My Meatless Mondays.

3. I think these look amazing, Aubree. I’d gladly take one right now!

these look so yummy!!

5. Alta says:

These sound awesome! I would love to make a version of these.

6. Oh, yum! I was actually just thinking over the weekend how I need to come up with a good GF granola recipe so I can make my own. As much as I love the Bakery on Main blend, I can only afford to buy so much of it. Thanks for sharing this!

7. Cara says:

Yum, these look absolutely incredible!!!

8. billie says:

they look delicious!! I haven’t made granola in a long time, need to try these!

9. Kim says:

These look great – I think I’ll make a variation on these for my plane trip next week. :) thanks for sharing! Kim | http://www.affairsofliving.com

10. [...] 6. Alison (Crock Pot Applesauce Chicken and Giveaway) 7. The Freshess Food 8. April@ The 21st Century Housewife (Roasted Sausage & Vegetable Pasta) 9. Family Stamping FOOD (Mushroom & Sausage Pizza) 10. Aubree Cherie @ Living Free (Gluten Free Granola Bar Bites) [...]

11. April Harris says:

Those really do sound good. I love it when a delicious snack is good for me too!

12. Thanks all for the generous and kind comments! These were definitely an experiment – I think what I like the most is that for my next batch really anything goes! :)

~Aubree Cherie

13. girlichef says:

OH, these sound good! I bet it’s easy to keep poppin’ em in mouth…could be dangerous. Good Dangerous ;) YUM!

I could go for one of these right about now! They sound scrumptious with their whole grain nutty goodness and sweet flavor. Don’t worry about the pictures, my imagination is taking me places!

Delicious! I love granola bars and bites and have been meaning to make some from scratch for some time now. Thanks for the reminder.

And thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites!

16. [...] Cherry Crisp)3. Glugle Gluten-Free (Elana’s Gluten Free, Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies4. Aubree Cherie @ Living Free (Granola Bar Bites)5. Shirley @ gfe (Cucumber Chickpea “Bruschetta”)6. Finding Joy in My Kitchen (Apple [...]