This is not my first attempt at making a quiche. But I do feel like this quiche takes the cake. Its sweet and savory at the same time. Its like eating Thanksgiving Dinner, all wrapped into one dish.

I love sweet potato. This sort of came to mind last minute (I made this only the night before a quiche challenge! *cough* last night *cough*) and I feel this is proof that , sometimes, it’s the unplanned that turns out the best!!!

Sweet Potato Quiche with a Cashew Crust

Crust
3/4 cup cooked brown rice
1 egg
1 tablespoon flax meal
1/4 cup finely chopped cashews
1 tablespoon oil

Cook the rice until its on the softer side. Mix in the rice with the egg, flax meal, cashews and oil. In a small to medium pie dish, press the dough so that it is distributed evenly and with even thickness. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and follow filling instructions.

Filling
1 medium sweet potato
1/2 white onion
2 tablespoons canola oil
4 eggs
1 cup fresh spinach
1 tsp dried sweet basil leaves
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of ground clover

pinch of ground sage
pinch of nutmeg

Peel the sweet potato and then cook it. I recommend doing what I did, which was to cut it into 4 large pieces, place it in a glass bowl full of water, and microwave it for 10 minutes. It was the perfect soft consistency that I wanted and it was quick! Also I was able to work on the next parts while it happened.

Chop the onion and saute the pieces on medium in the canola oil.

Mash the sweet potato in a medium mixing bowl. Add the onions and eggs. Then whip it! (Whip it good? :P) Make sure the eggs are really well beat, even though they’re with the potato’s. Add the spices and mix some more!

Wash the fresh spinach really well, and shake off any extra water. Rip the spinach into smaller pieces and mix into the batter.

Pour the batter into the pre-made pie crust and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

(if you choose to make mini crustless quiche – so cute! – you only need to bake those for 20 minutes.)

I made the crust with cashews because of the Blogger Secret Ingredient Challenge that I’m hosting this week. If you have a recipe with cashews, be sure to submit it!¬† It’s fun to participate and there’s a small prize for the recipe that stands out the most! :)

PrintPrint Get a PDF  version of this webpage PDF

This recipe is linked to Gluten Free Wednesday, Foodie Friday, Food on Friday, Simply Hot Recipes, Meatless Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, and Just Another Meatless Monday.

23 Responses to Sweet Potato Quiche with a Cashew Crust

Wow, Aubree, that quiche looks fantastic! I’m also a lover of sweet potatoes–and the idea of cashew crust is ingenious. I think I need to put sweet potato in my next quiche (and cashews in my crust!) ;)

I will admit, quiche is not my favorite, but, yours sure looks good. I do like sweet potato and your crust sounds really yummy too. It all seems like a savory pie more than a quiche which I think would enjoy very much! Sometimes the best recipes come together when you wing it ;) I love doing that, it’s so therapeutic.

3. Ricki – Thanks! I was just admiring YOUR quiche, so I’m happy that you think mine looks tasty :)

Chelsey – I’ve had some pretty gross quiche myself, so I can understand not being completely thrilled about the idea, haha. Thats why I threw in the sweet potato I think. I figured if I love the main ingredients, there a good chance I’ll also love the finished product! :)

4. Jessica says:

Aubree- the quiche looks fantastic. How pretty! Cashew crust sounds good, very creative! :)

5. Ashlie says:

A great sweet and savory combo ;). If I had to pick one food as my favorite it would be very difficult, but sweet potatoes would be near the top of the list – I just can’t get enough of them! This sounds like a great way to eat even more sweet potatoes.

6. Denise says:

The unplanned can definitely surprise you. A couple of my latest recipes for my series were last minute, “What do I have on hand” type of recipes, and they turned out great!

7. Stephanie says:

Interesting combination of ingredients…never would have thought of this! It looks delicious! I’m excited to have found your blog. I love getting ideas from other GF/DF chefs!

8. Kim Trick says:

Aubree, this looks fantastic. I never would’ve thought to use cooked brown rice in a crust, but I LOVE it! I’ve been off of flour for over a month now and craving something savory like this. Sweet potatoes are also a fave, so I can see myself making this often.

I’m going to try it out this month. Can’t wait to share with other gluten-free friends.

9. Kim Trick says:

p.s. adding you to my blogroll!

10. Heather says:

This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it! This is the first time I am seeing your blog but I am going to add you to my links on my blog! Looking forward to your future recipes too!

11. Meg says:

oh. my. goodness.
    this looks insanely GOOD!!!

man, all of your recipes always make me salivate!!!

That is very creative and it looks delicious! Is it supposed to be a pinch of ground cloves instead of clover? I have lots of clover in my yard, but haven’t heard of using it in cooking! Thanks for participating in the quiche challenge.

13. Kim says:

This looks great! What a wonderful idea. Fantastic!

14. What an amazing quiche. Cashew crust sounds amazing. Thank you for sweetly commenting on my guest post.

Nisrine

15. [...] 10. Flavored Desert Layered with Coffee 11. Tara @ Feels Like Home (chicken bacon quesadillas) 12. Aubree Cherie @ Living Free (Sweet Potato Quiche with a Cashew Crust) 13. Like a Bubbling Brook (Grilled Carrots) 14. Laura @ Frugal Follies (Chewy Chocolatey Freezer [...]

16. Simply Life says:

wow, that looks delicious!

You make the greatest recipes. I am prin ting this up, right now and I plan to make it this weekend.

I have to send you my cashew recipes now, also.

18. cat says:

I must try this someday, looks so delish cause I love sweet potatoes :)

19. Delish! I love quiche and all the ingredients. I’ve seen rice crusts and nut crusts, but not a rice-nut crust. ;-) Very nice.

Yum! I’m adding this to my Thanksgiving recipe roundup.

21. eva says:

Just came across this recipe. So delicious and hit the spot. I am not gf, just dairy free, but I’d go for this crust any day. Yum! Great use for cashews. Cooking things like this helps me stick to my diet too. I can’t wait to check out your other recipes!

22. [...] The Daily Diatribe last month. When I adopted Aubree Cherie of Living Free, I intended to make her Sweet Potato Quiche with Cashew Crust, but life got in the way. A horrible virus swept through our house; I spent a week  nursing sick [...]

23. Heidi says:

Hi! This looks so delicious! I was wondering if you had the nutritional information?