Email updates from Living Free

I’ve been missing. It’s okay; I won’t be hurt if you didn’t notice :) But I have been. I’ve had an entire week without my computer. It’s my first day back and I don’t even know what to do with myself.

Although my dilemma technically started last Monday, it’s been building for a few months. I’m embarrassed to say that I kept forgetting to upgrade my anti-virus software. I have a tendency to close any sort of pop up notifications. Well, I’ve learned my lesson I think. 27 viruses and a handful of malware later, I had a melon for a computer. I couldn’t open programs or anything. All I could do was boot it up. After that, it had a mind of its own.

Naturally, I had a mini breakdown (okay, it was a full-on emotional breakdown, let’s be honest). I was able to keep some sanity with my Droid though. I could check e-mail and was halfway decent with using twitter, but its just not the same. Luckily, I have some friends who work in the world of IT who agreed to help me out with payment of two batches of cookies (oatmeal walnut raisin and my ‘everything’ cookies). But from Monday night to Wednesday night I was without my computer. Although I got it back Wednesday, I had a very long weekend in Upstate NY visiting family and picking up some furniture (I’m moving to Delaware for graduate school in 2 weeks!) So… 7 days without my computer.

I have to say, in retrospect, I recommend it to everyone.

It gave me a chance to catch up on some things I’d been behind on. I did a lot of reading and I studied more in my bible than I normally do. I recently decided to knit hats for charity and this computer drought gave me enough time to knit 7 and three quarter hats! (One’s not completely done yet :)). I got a lot of packing done. I enjoyed my family and my friends; it felt good to give them more of my time. I sat back and spent some time putting my life into a larger perspective.

I feel pretty refreshed.

And now that I’m back? Well… I’m going to try to catch up. I haven’t opened my blogroll/reader yet. I’m pretty afraid to. But I will! :)

Okay, stop blabbing Aubree. Show us the food! This… this i can do :)

GF French Toast To-Go! (& in the Car?)

Yep, that’s right. The portable French Toast! I know what you’re saying… any french toast can be portable. But I would challenge you by asking… could you eat it while driving and not make a mess?

I sure couldn’t…

I made this specifically to be eaten without syrup. What a notion, huh? I don’t use syrup anymore besides the occasional use of real (and local) maple syrup in sweet recipes. I really try to avoid it. I’ve also been trying to use breakfasts that give me energy and lets be honest, sugary types of food aren’t a good sourse of lasting energy. The amazing thing about this French Toast is that you don’t NEED the syrup! They’re plenty sweet all by themselves.

The idea was born when I woke up late the other morning. The Boy and I were headed out for a trip and we needed to leave early. Well, genius here slept in late. I had about 20 minutes to get dressed, do my hair, pack for the day trip, AND make food. I made these in 15 minutes and packed/did my hair while making them.

Necessity really is the mother of creation, isn’t it?

GF French Toast To-Go!

2 large slices of gluten free bread
3 medium fresh eggs
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
15 drops liquid stevia
1 tbs Date Sugar (optional – The Boy isn’t a huge fan of stevia yet; this was for his benefit. It was sweet enough for me without it though!)
Cooking Spray

Beat the eggs in a low bowl. While whisking, add the cinnamon, nutmeg, stevia, and date sugar. Set aside.

Cut your two large slices of gluten free bread into small pieces (about 4 bites each). Set two to four pieces of bread in the low bowl with eggs. Let them sit on each side for at least one minute.

Put a frying pan on the stove and adjust to medium heat. Apply a small amount of cooking spray to the pan and slowly add the pieces of bread. Be careful not to rip the pieces, I did that with the first one (I was in a hurry, remember? :)) I’d say about 4 minutes on the first side, flip it over, and then 2 minutes. I didn’t time it and some were more browned than others. Just keep an eye on them.

These french toast ‘bites’ were amazing because I literally threw them in a to-go container from the frying pan, snapped a few quick photos and ran out the door. We had to wait for them to cool just a little bit, but 10 miles down the road we were digging in!

PrintPrint Get a PDF  version of this webpage PDF

This recipe is linked to Just Another Meatless Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Meatless Monday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Tuesdays at the Table, Gluten Free Wednesday, Food on Friday and Friday Favorites.

19 Responses to “Has Anyone Seen Aubree?” plus GF French Toast To-Go! (& in the Car?)

Looks delish! Glad you got your computer working again, but I know what you mean about it being a blessing in disguise to be without your computer. Whenever I’m away from it on a vacation, I realize how glued I am to my computer. Like right now. ;)

Looks great! (I’ll have to look up Stevia on line….no idea what it is.) Necessity is the mother if invention. :) And I’m ALWAYS in a rush in the morning. Thanks.

It is nice to have a break once in awhile isn’t it? I am impressed how fast you can get up, pack and make food! You must be a morning person, because in the morning I am as slow as honey when I first wake up! And who knew you could night like a granny on speed?! Almost seven hats? that’s awesome.

4. Melinda says:

I think the best ideas come when we’re frantic in the kitchen! :) I can relate to your frustration with your computer!

That sounds easy and delicous.

I sure did notice you missing and I was concerned. Glad to see you back. The sun doesn’t shine without you here.

Thanks for linking this delicious recipe with My Meatless Mondays. Can I have a piece or two or three?

7. Michelle says:

Welcome Back!!
    Actually I must say, I just discovered your site through Temp My Tummy Tuesdays`.
    I love French Toast. I have never made it this way.

8. I salute you on a successful wean, however long, from the laptop. There will be a similar wean for me with the house yanked up for flooring changes. I being the principal drone. So I decided I’d take my rest periods and blog on the different reps and lunges involved in home improvement! Off to my own bible for sustenance for the day.

Welcome back. I think a computer break is always a good thing. I love French toast, and what a great idea to make a “to go” version.

10. Aubrey … so glad I found you, too! You’re cookin’ is up our alley. No gluten, dairy and sugar (well, okay, I sneak some sugar in :) Thanks for leaving a comment on my site. Will be sure to follow your blog!

11. Liberty says:

YEAH! Yum yum! looking forward to making this…although the boys love honey on theirs, it makes clean up kinda messy. Thanks for sharing! *blessings*

12. Sometimes it’s the syrup that puts me over the top for French toast and pancakes, so I love this ideas, Aubree!!

Glad you’re back with us! Cookies seem like a small price to pay to get your computer back. ;-) And, breaks can be really, really good!

13. Alea says:

The French toast sounds great! I think I will add the date sugar as my kids aren’t into stevia either.

I have had a couple of forced breaks in blogging and it is a good reminder that I need to keep blogging in check, so that I don’t miss out on life. :-)

14. ButterYum says:

Nope, I didn’t notice you were gone, but this is my first visit to your blog so I have a good excuse! :)

I haven’t made french toast for a long time – thanks for the inspiration!

ButterYum
    .-= ButterYum´s last blog ..Fiesta Corn Salad =-.

15. [...] 1. Newlyweds (Crawfish Boil) 2. New food success (Momsmagic) 3. Melodie (Breastfeeding Moms Don’t Need to Introduce Cow’s Milk) 4. Melodie (Yogurt Sundaes or Parfaits) W/ VEGETARIAN LINKY 5. Do You Know These Foods??? enearth 6. April@ The 21st Century Housewife (Apricot and Almond Loaf Cake) 7. 10 Unique Uses for Aprons {e- Mom} 8. Erica /Lazy Cabbage Rolls 9. Aubree Cherie @ Living Free (GF French Toast To- Go!) [...]

Sorry about your computer problems! And glad you’re back!

I love french toast! Sounds delicious! Thanks for linking for Friday Favorites!

Welcome back! I’ve ben gone so long myself, of course, that I’m just reading this now (so it’s now one week to the move for you!!). And aren’t you so lucky that you have FRIENDS who can fix such things?? I rely on total strangers who want payment of money instead of cookies. And then it’s not always the greatest job, either.

I got a little taste of living w/o the computer when we went to Florida last February–since I don’t have a laptop or BlackBerry or iPod or any other portable device, it was just the 2 of us and a quick check of emails through the hotel computer at night. Couldn’t believe how relaxing it was! ;)
    .-= Ricki´s last blog ..SOS Kitchen Challenge: Spinach Roundup =-.

18. [...] Aubree Cherie @ Living Free (GF French Toast To-Go!)12. Finding Joy in My Kitchen (Turkey and Veggie Skillet)13. Ashlie@Delshad Duo (Strawberry Peach [...]