These are fun. Just look at them! I was giggling when they came out of the oven. I also was reminded of a line from one of my favorite movies, Jim Carey’s The Grinch:

“You know, Christmas is my favorite time of year. I just love the colors. All the red…. and the greeeen.”

I digress.

So they have a fun color, but I know they might not really look completely appetizing to you as a biscuit. But I think they are pretty tasty! AND I got The Boy to eat them. Once he nibbled on the first one, he gobbled up the others I gave him :)

I actually made these because spinach was the ingredient of choice for this month’s SOS Kitchen Challenge. Head over to Kim’s Blog (Affairs of Living) or Ricki’s Blog (Diet, Dessert, and Dogs) to learn more about it! And while you’re at it, take some time to enjoy their extremely creative and fun recipes.

I wanted to try something new and funky with spinach because it’s actually such a staple for me. I eat spinach in so many things. I buy two bunches each week (which may not seem like a lot, but I’m only one person!). I wanted to do something that I never had done with spinach before and would make me smile with amusement. Viola! :)

Almond Spinach Biscuits

1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 cup flax meal
1/4 cup + 2 tbs white rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tightly packed cup of fresh spinach
1/3 cup soymilk
2 tbs almond butter
2 tbs canola oil
1 tbs dried cranberries

Preheat the over to 400 degrees.

Whisk together the almond meal, flax meal, rice flour, baking soda, and salt until they are well blended.

Put the spinach in the bottom of your blender and then add the soymilk, almond butter, oil, and cranberries. Blend until smooth.

Pour the blended mix into the dry ingredient bowl and mix well. Using a large spoon, scoop the batter out onto a baking sheet. I used a layer of aluminum foil over the pan, but a non stick pan would work just as well.

Bake for about 15 minutes or until the edges start to show a light brown color. Remove from the oven and let cool.

I just love these! I love the wacky, weird, and pretty much anything the average person might turn their nose up at. Green biscuits sure fit into all of those categories I think. I hope you’ll stop by the SOS Kitchen Challenge to see other fun recipes with spinach!

PrintPrint Get a PDF  version of this webpage PDF

This recipe is linked to Meatless Monday Just Another Meatless Monday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Tuesdays at the Table, Tasty Tuesday, and Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.

15 Responses to Sneak the veggies in where you can! (Almond Spinach Biscuits)

I am very impressed that you got your boyfriend to eat green biscuits!
    .-= Iris´s last blog ..May Edition of Adopt A Gluten Free Blogger =-.

Oh my, what a good idea! I love that they’re green. It would be fun to make these for my kiddies just to see what they think! Personally, I don’t care what color biscuits are. So yummy!
    .-= Maggie´s last blog ..Granola Bars =-.

3. Wow Aubree these ARE so green! I love that you put almond butter in it-yum! Did they taste more like almond or spinach? What was the texture like?

By the way I have to let you know I have you a blog award: http://healthfoodlover.com/hfl/2010/05/22/versatile-blogger-awards/#more-2108
    .-= Michelle (Health Food Lover)´s last blog ..Versatile Blogger Awards =-.

• I think they taste a lot like almond which I really like! The spinach effects the taste, of course, but it doesn’t overpower at all. I actually was afraid of that but was happy with how it turned out. I think it would be rather blah without the cranberries though. They really tie it together :)

Thanks for the award!!! :)

~Aubree Cherie

Fabulously creative–and the color is great! I love the little sweet kick from the cranberries as well. Thanks so much for entering the challenge this month–and glad that you were able to whip up something new with your green staple!
    .-= Ricki´s last blog ..Cookbook Giveaway Winner! =-.

5. Johanna GGG says:

those biscuits look amazing – Dr Seuss would just love them and I am sure I will when I get to try them

6. Thanks everyone for the great comments! I’m happy they’re all positive. I thought a few people would be cringing just because of the color :)

~Aubree Cherie

Another winner. You are great.

Thanks for linking this up to Meatless Mondays. People are going to be interested in t his.
    .-= Chaya´s last blog ..MY Meatless Mondays =-.

These look pretty wild, but I think I would actually enjoy them! Nice to find you at Meatless Mondays at Sweet and Savory. I do a Vegetarian Foodie Fridays if you’re ever interested in linking up! Have a great day!
    .-= Melodie´s last blog ..What’s Wrong With Breastfeeding At Church? =-.

Oh Aubree these look so great! My kids would flip over green biscuits too! Thanks for linking to “Just Another Meatless Monday” Hope to see you next week!
    .-= laura´s last blog ..Beer Tasting =-.

10. I wonder if I just tell my kids that there is food coloring in these if they would eat them? Then they would ask for purple ones next! Thanks!
    .-= Debbi Does Dinner Healthy´s last blog ..Sloppy Buffalo Joes =-.

I think my family would have a little trouble with the color, but they do look really healthy!
    .-= Brenda´s last blog ..Egg Baskets/TMTT =-.

12. Oh, Aubree, these are so green they are definitely perfect fare for St. Paddy’s Day. Don’t forget when March rolls around! I love that your boyfriend ate them. But, it’s no surprise really, I know I would love them.

.-= gfe–gluten free easily´s last blog ..Elegant and Easy Party Puffs =-.

13. Ashley says:

What an awesome idea for a biscuit!

14. [...] Orange & Honey Syrup (GF, Dairy Free)5. Jenn Cuisine (Orange and Honey Rotisserie Chicken)6. Aubree Cherie @ Living Free (Almond Spinach Biscuits)7. Ellie @ beansandpeas (pumpkin and millet muffins)8. Ashlie @ Delshad Duo (Summer Salads)9. Easy [...]