Weekly updates from Living Free

I tried making some lemon poppy muffins recently and it was a total disaster. I had too many substitutes for the typical recipe I think. After the disaster, I was feeling pretty discouraged and grumpy about baking. After a couple of hours moping around the house I decided to give it another go, but with a slightly different recipe. I’m happy to say this concoction turned out quiet the opposite. They’re quiet tasty, plus they actually rose and had a nice texture. I think the ingredients I used for the first muffins were too ‘heavy’ and I guess I got lucky with the ingredient combination of these.

As in most things in my life, I took something normal that I couldn’t succeed at (sigh), but gave it a twist and managed to have success!

I especially like these because they’re heavy on the blueberries, which is my favorite part :)

Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Muffins

1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 tbs ripe mashed banana
1/2 cup soymilk
3 tbs corn oil
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cups frozen blueberries

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

The instructions for these mini muffins are pretty easy. Mix all the dry ingredients together. In a seperate bowl combine all the liquid ingredients. Then combine those two mixes. You will want to wait to add the frozen blueberries right before you pour the batter into the muffin pan though.

Bake for about 15 minutes. I left them in a little longer than I think they needed, almost 20 minutes, but I liked the extra browning they got. Adds to the flavor I think :)

Makes 2 dozen mini muffins.

PrintPrint Get a PDF  version of this webpage PDF

p.s. I switched twitter accounts! Please add me to the new one :)

This recipe is linked to Meatless MondaysMouthwatering Monday, Just Another Meatless Monday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, and Gluten Free Wednesdays.

12 Responses to Lemon Blueberry Muffins

1. Cole says:

Wow, those look fabulous!! Thanks for sharing. :-)

2. SnoWhite says:

These look really tasty. I’ll be passing the recipe on to my GF MIL.

Thanks!

3. The muffins look great! Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Those look really yummy!

5. angie says:

love muffins these sound great

Looks like we were both having trouble with muffins this week, but persevered! Love the new pic!

7. Alea says:

These look good! I have gotten carried away with substitutes before. This week, I went with a sugary, fatfilled, favorite. ;-)

Thanks for sharing this at Meatless Mondays. I am a big fan of blueberry muffins but I haven’t made them with bananas. Hubby, the GF one, is going to enjoy these.

9. This reminds me…I have some frozen blueberries in the fridge that I need to use.
    Wendy

10. JoAnn says:

These muffins look delicious…great pics! I have some ripe bananas I need to use so this is very timely!

I’m glad you tried again. These look so good. Thanks for participating in the muffin challenge.

12. Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the kind comment love :)