Email updates from Living Free

Or can they?

Well, they can’t be beat, but they’re made from beets! :D

I’m on a bit of  a beet kick this week, but its all because of the Sweet or Savory Kitchen Challenge that’s happening. The ingredient of choice is beets! This recipe, however, it not my entry. That’s here, Raw Beet Slaw :)

This recipe was actually taken from the amazing Ricki at Diet, Dessert, and Dogs. I saw the photos and my mouth started to water. And after I made my other beet dish that was for the challenge, I had one large beet left over. I HAD to try these.

Unfortunately I didn’t have a lot of the items on hand, so I improvised. I’m not sure what Ricki’s burgers taste like, but they have to be amazing. I mean, I didn’t even follow the recipe right and these have me feeling like I could ‘beet’ someone up if they were to attempt to snarf one from my fridge. Corny? Yes. Awesome? Oh yeah :)

Beet Burgers

(Adapted from Ricki’s Beet Burgers)

1/2 cup of whole amaranth grain
Leftover beet water* plus tap water to equal 1 1/2 cups
1 large root beet (*water left from cooking used as above)
1 1/2 cups of un-roasted white peanuts
1/2 cup of rice flakes
1/4 cup flax seed meal
2/3 of large red pepper (about 1 cup after chopped)
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon all purpose adobo seasoning
3 teaspoons dried crushed parsley leaves
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dill weed
2 pinches of ground cayenne pepper

Let me first provide a disclaimer. These burgers are a lot of work, at least for someone who doesn’t own a food processor (well, I do, but its in storage and I can’t get it till June). So I did all this in a blender, but even though it was hard work – it was beyond worth it!

Start by peeling your large beet. (I’d say it was about the size of 1 cup). Chop into 3 or 4 pieces and place in 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan. Let it cook in the boiling water for about 15-20 minutes.

While this was happening, I took the white peanuts and started chopping them. (I have one of those nut/onion choppers from Pampered Chef – best gift ever!) So they were chopped from very fine to sort of coarse. In a medium bowl, mix the chopped peanuts with the flax seed meal and rice flakes.

In the blender, add about 1/2 cup of the peanut mix and blend for about 10 seconds. Dump that into a large mixing bowl. Do this until all the mix has been finely ground.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

At this point, the beet should be cooked. Remove it from the pan (tongs would have been ideal, but I used a knife to jab it out :D), but be careful not to loose any of the liquid – you need it! Poor the liquid into a large glass measuring cup. Add regular water until it reaches 1 1/2 cups. Put it back in the pan on the stove and add 1/2 cup of whole amaranth grain. That will take about 15 minutes to cook if on medium/high.

Take the beat and chop it up into smaller pieces. Also take and chop up the red pepper. I put the two in the blender and of course if wasn’t happy; it wouldn’t chop them without liquid. So I added 1 tablespoon of canola oil and 3 tablespoons of water. It worked perfect! Once all that is blended, add it to the large mixing bowl with the peanuts, flax, and rice flakes. Also now add the salt, minced garlic, adobo seasoning, crushed parsley, onion powder, dill weed, and cayenne pepper. But wait to mix it up.

Once the amaranth is done (all water should be cooked out of it, no draining needed! It’ll also be a beautiful reddish color), add it to the mixing bowl. Mix all ingredients well.

Spray or grease a cookie sheet or large flat pan. Scoop the batter, place it on the pan (I got 6 to fit on each pan), and then use your fingers to flatten and shape the burgers. Mine were 3-4″ in diameter and about 1/2 thick. (I used a 1/4 cup as my measuring tool, it was just the right amount of burger batter to use)

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. At that point, I took them out of the oven, used a large spatula, and flipped them over. I actually would pick one up at a time, spray the place where they were going back, and then flipped it over. Just to make sure it didn’t stick :) Cook them for an additional 10-15 minutes. Makes 1 dozen.

And that’s it! Thanks to Ricki for these amazing burgers (I know, I DID botch up the recipe, but the results were still wonderful!!!!)

PrintPrint Get a PDF  version of this webpage PDF

This recipe is linked to Just another Meatless Monday, Meatless Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Homemaker Monday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Foodie Friday, Food On Fridays, Finer Things Friday, the Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap, Friday Food, Friday Favorites and Tasty Tuesday.

Tagged with →

22 Responses to Burgers That Can’t Be Beet!

Yums! I love the colour. They look like hamburgers because of the beet colour. Looks like a very yummy and healthy recipe – just in time for BBQ season! Maybe you could BBQ them for the last few minutes?

2. Fire-Eyes says:

These look fantastic! I have a couple of veggi patty recipes and I will have to try and add this one. They are so aestheticly pleasing.

Live Laugh and Enjoy! :)
    Fire-Eyes

I can’t convince myself to like beets, yet I like them in horseradish and in borscht. Maybe, I could try these and change my mind. I am talking to myself. They look delicious but they are beets. Going in the corner, mumbling, “I love beets.”

4. I think this is amazing! I have never made “patties” with beets nor would I have ever thought of it! Thank you for the tip and your detailing is amazing! BTW I am your newest follower from Trendy Treehouse! Hope you will follow me back!

Wow, Aubree, your version sounds amazing! The amaranth would add a great boost of protein, too. I’m so glad they worked out for you–and nice to know the recipe is versatile, too. :D

6. Wow, these are really cool! Such a beautiful, brilliant color!

Blogger Secret Ingredient (BSI) for this week is also beets – you should enter these! Here’s the link: http://livepuravida.blogspot.com/2010/04/blogger-secret-ingredient-reveal.html

7. THIS! Is why I love the linky!
    Thank you sooo much! I am definitely going to have to try these because it would be a) a challenge and b) fun!

8. Holly says:

These sound amazing and I can’t wait to try them. How do you thinh they would adapt with cashews or other non-tree nuts?

• Hi Holly – I think they would work great! The original recipe (from Ricki at Diet, Dessert, and Dogs) calls for brazil nuts. If I had cashews, I would have tried them (they’re my favorite nut!) ~Aubree Cherie

9. Yummm, I love the idea of these!!! Going on my to-cook list, thanks!!!

What a great idea! I love beets!

WOW-beet burgers I never would have thought of that-ever. They do look great though. I love beets.
    Can’t wait to see what you bring next week :)

12. Jenn says:

LOVE the color! And what amazing flavor with the amaranth grain…I will have to try these for sure!

13. Wow, how clever. Thanks for linking to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Well, I really don’t like beets, but I love what you have done with them! Thanks for participating in Gluten-Free Wednesday.

15. April Harris says:

What an interesting recipe – I would never have thought of using beets that way. Thank you for sharing it – it sounds delicious!

16. [...] Aubree Cherie @ Living Free (Burgers That Can’t be Beet!) 2. Kristen (The Easiest Pie) 3. Domestic Productions (San Francisco Quinoa) 4. Food Direct from the [...]

How very interesting! Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites!

18. Kirstin says:

Hmmmm, not sure about these. I made homemade bean burgers a few weeks ago and they were really good. I also made bean brownies which were different and actually pretty darn good.

19. [...] 1. Lauren @ Celiac Teen (Gluten-Free Cinnamon Cake Bites)2. Linda @ Gluten-Free Homemaker (Chicken Tetrazzini)3. Lynns Kitchen Adventures (gf, egg free, dairy free bread)4. Shirley @ gfe (Simple Roasted Chickpeas)5. Chaya – Meatloaf Muffins with Easy Potato Topping6. Comfy Cook – Honey Nut Crusted Chicken7. Z’s Cup of Tea @ Ambrosia Tea Party (Strawberries & Dairy-free Custard))8. Jayme@TryandTriAgain (Sprouted Quinoa with Shrimp, Edamame &Corn)9. Chelsey @ The Crazy Kitchen – Power Wake-Up Strawberry Banana Smoothie10. Aubree Cherie @ Living Free (Vegan Beet Burgers) [...]