Weekly updates from Living Free

Like this recipe? Check out ALL my recipes here, in the Recipe Archive

Sweet Rice Breakfast Cereal

I’ve recently been on a mission to find something yummy for breakfast that was extremely cost effective. I’m happy to say that I’ve finally found it!

I had been using Bob’s Red Mill Hot and Tasty Breakfast cereal when I first went gluten and dairy free. Its really good! But its $4 for a small bag that lasted about a week to 2 weeks. But that’s with having very small portions. So good, but not cost effective.

I posted earlier my amaranth breakfast cereal that used whole grain amaranth. That was good but in a weird way. Don’t get me wrong, I really liked it! But I think I would prefer that less as an ‘everyday thing’ and more as a treat sometimes. The other reason I wouldn’t want to eat that too often – amaranth grains aren’t much cheaper than buying Bob’s Red Mill Hot and Tasty Breakfast cereal.

So… what to do, what to do. I was digging around in my cupboard one Sunday (two ago actually) and noticed I had a neglected bag of white rice. (I very rarely use white rice anymore, brown or wild is so much better for you!) But being the non-wasteful person that I am, I came up with this recipe. It’s pretty yummy, I must admit. And I don’t think I need to tell you how cheap it is in comparison.

The other great part is that is has a similar consistency to oatmeal. And for someone who used to eat oatmeal everyday for breakfast, that’s a pretty sweet gluten free deal!

You may never see another breakfast cereal recipe from me on this blog. THAT’S how much I love this! Except maybe when I try it with a healthier type of rice : )

Sweet Rice Breakfast Cereal

2 cups white rice
4 cups water
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup soy milk
1/4 cup chopped pecans

In a medium saucepan, cook rice and water until the water is mostly gone (essentially you’re making sticky rice at this stage). It should take about 15 minutes on medium for this stage. Make sure to stir occasionally to keep the rice from sticking to the pan.

Once its cooked, turn off the heat. Add the soy milk, pecans, nutmeg and cinnamon. Mix until its blended.

Makes about 6 servings.

I use those little 1 cup ziploc containers and stick my six servings in the fridge. One for each work day and then one extra for when I feel like it. Or Saturday if it’ll last that long : )

PrintPrint Get a PDF   version of this webpage PDF

This post is linked to Friday Foodie Fix, Simply Hot Recipes, Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap, and Foodie Friday.

Sweet Rice Cereal

Tagged with →

11 Responses to Sweet Rice Breakfast Cereal

That looks delicious with the cinnamon and nuts. I bet it would be good with brown rice also.

2. Jenna says:

Yup – brown rice works just as well (a bit nuttier tasting, but still yummy!), I should know, my mom made something similar to this for years! Wonderful to see other people putting this idea out there – Oatmeal is great, but sometimes a gal needs a change! LOVE the idea of making this up ahead and storing it for the week – somehow that lightbulb always failed to light for me. Thanks so much!

3. Sherry says:

I have a rice eating teen. I bet he would love this!

4. Gollum says:

This looks filling and tasty, the perfect breakfast on a cold morning.

5. Gail says:

Do you cover the rice when you cook it? This sounds great and I miss eating oatmeal too.

• Hi Gail, I actually don’t cover the rice. I like to cook it until most of the water is out, so I think it may take a bit longer to cook it covered. It would probably work better covered if you didn’t add the soy milk though. Let me know if you try it :) Thanks for stopping by!!! ~Aubree Cherie

6. I love the look and sound of this one! I bet Mr. GFE and Son would even like it. They are fans of rice pudding and this sounds similar. Yum!

Thanks, Aubree!

I could eat rice any time of the day! I tried a variation of this the other day with maple syrup, Mmmm. Thanks for linking up!

8. There is something about warm creamy grains and cinnamon in the morning that keeps you going. Thank you for sharing this on Friday Foodie Fix.

Yum-MY! I love using leftover grains for breakfast, and rice does taste like rice pudding–what a great way to start the day! The ziplocs are a great idea. Have you tried blending the cereal and then re-heating? Like delicious cream of wheat–w/ rice! :)

10. [...] Sweet Rice Breakfast Cereal (Vegan) (pictured below) *Great Beginner Recipe [...]