Email updates from Living Free

Pizza! With fruit? Umm, heck yes! I can’t believe it’s taken me so long to get around to trying this recipe for the blog; its a family favorite! Although… the traditional family recipe is far from ‘Aubree Cherie diet’ friendly. Sooo, I tweaked it a bit. (okay, so I tweaked ALL of it… hehe)

I actually had an old friend over for the weekend and so I wanted it to do something fun yet tasty. But of course I also wanted to eat it, so it had to be gluten, dairy, and sugar free! (I’m just really selfish that way :D) Unless he was lying, it was a hit! And from the way everyone was eating all the left over ‘sauce’ once the pizza itself was gone, I can’t help but let myself believe him. The Boy loved it too.

I really really wanted to try Lauren’s (over at Celiac Teen) Gluten Free Pie Crust recipe for this, but I sort of decided last minute to make this and so had to pick up a dreaded pre-packaged mix. Having said that though, it was a really tasty gluten free pie crust mix and it did whip up super fast. Next time though, I’ll do it ‘proper liiike’ and make some real crust. (Provided I’m brave enough.)

I suppose this is naturally assumed as a breakfast food, but I’ve never eaten it for breakfast. We had it for dinner while we watched a movie and had some wind down time from the day. I snitched one of the pieces from the pan to save for a dessert the next day. It was even better after it had chilled out in the fridge overnight.

Try this; I’m willing to bet you’ll thank me :D

Fruit Pizza

Ingredients and Instructions (they’re co-mingling today):

Crust:
I cheated, its true. But if you want to make your own, I’ll refer to you Lauren’s Recipe at Celiac Teen. I’ve been dying to try this recipe. When I have some time I’ll definitely be doing so!

But whatever crust recipe or mix you use, use a round pan and press the dough in about 1/8″ thick. Although there should be instructions with your recipe for bake time, I baked mine a little longer than it called for, so about 25 minutes at 425 degrees.

Let it cool for at least 10 minutes before you spread on ‘the sauce’.

Sauce:
1 package firm silken tofu (12-ish oz)
1/3 cup light agave nectar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice

This is so simple! I literally put it all into my blender and let it rip! Well, it did take some patience and some coaxing with the sides of the blender with my spatula. But all in all you want to mix it up until its smooth.

Once you’ve let the crust cool, take a spoon and spread the sauce over the crust so its about 1/8″ thick. I had extra sauce, but its great for dipping any extra fruit in after all the pizza has been gobbled up!

Topping (recommended fruit – options are obviously endless though):
Fresh Blueberries (about 3/4 cup)
Canned pears (1 can)
Fresh strawberries (1 plastic carton/quart)
Fresh kiwi (2 whole fruits, skinned)
Fresh banana (2 medium, peeled (did I really need to say that?))
Canned peaches (1 can)

I like to start on the outside and I start with the curved fruit because it gives it a nice structure. Peaches and pears go first. Then I just fit everything else in as best I can (strawberries next with kiwi in the middle – because its so green and beautiful! The banana’s I fit in between the peaches and pears. I cut the into half circles so it fit rather well. Then the blueberries were rather haphazardly tossed about.

Unfortunately I had to take photos pretty fast before the boys dug in, so it doesn’t show what I consider one of the most important parts…. the ‘CHEESE’! I used shredded unsweetened coconut over all of this to tie it together and its fun to pretend its the cheese. I also sprinkled some sunflower seeds on my piece, even though the boys respectfully declined.

PrintPrint Get a PDF  version of this webpage PDF

This recipe is linked to Mouthwatering Monday, Meatless Monday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday – get the gluten out!, Gluten Free Wednesday, Sweet Thursday, Food on Fridays,

18 Responses to Fruit Pizza

1. Lynn says:

I have not made fruit pizza in years. Thank you for the reminder.

This looks delicious Aubree! What a great idea. I happen to have silken tofu in my fridge (trust me this is a rare occurrence!). I just might have to break it out and eat this fruit pizza. Great recipe! BTW I made celiac teens crust and it was very good, I highly recommend.

3. Jackie says:

LOVE fruit pizza…it’s a good reminder to make it again!

4. Denise says:

Oooooh! Thanks for sharing! My creative juices are flowing!! :D

I would not have imagined it looking so good if I had seen the ingredients first. I bet it was delicious!

6. That looks delicious. I haven’t had fruit pizza since we went gluten free, so it’s been a few years. I need to make one again…

It’s been a long time since I had fruit pizza. It looks delicious, and you have me wanting some now. Thanks for sharing it at Gluten-Free Wednesday.

8. Brian says:

Looks delicious!

9. That’s a beautiful fruit pizza, Aubree! Great way to get in your fruits while enjoying a scrumptious dessert. :-)

10. Ann Kroeker says:

What a wonderful gift to the world, providing delicious alternatives for those with dietary limitations, Aubree…and you’re inspiring those who are free to eat anything, as well. This looks like such a fresh, scrumptious dessert for company! As the weather warms up, I crave more and more fruit. Thanks for linking to Food on Fridays!!

11. Thank you all for the wonderful comments! I’m so glad I spark some interest (or a memory) for many of you! Its a personal favorite, so I couldn’t help but be excited to share it :)

12. [...] pizza) 12. Debbi Does Dinner Healthy (Asian Coleslaw) 13. Rachel Olsen – P31 (soul feast) 14. Aubree Cherie @ Living Free (Fruit Pizza) 15. My Heart My Home (Fruit- Sweetened Berry Crisp) 16. Honey Shellacked Orange Chicken 17. [...]

Oh how wonderful this looks! Thanks for sharing your recipe for Sweet Thursday!

Hi. Just stopping by again to let you know that I’m featuring your post this week for my Friday Favorites event. Come by and get a “featured” buttong for your blog if you like!

15. Wow! This looks super good! I haven’t had fruit pizza in years either! The dairy kinda ruins it for me—-I really haven’t had much dairy for years either. But this looks great..the one thing that worries me is the tofu. I tried it once (made sour cream with it and frosting or something) and it tasted horrible. How does this taste? Must taste good enough to post right? lol (Just bad memories I suppose!)

16. Deanna says:

Yum. I’d need to do a different sauce since I’m not doing tofu. But, I could see it with either a cashew cream sauce or a strawberry sauce. Yummo. And, definitely a meal.

17. [...] (Easy brown rice and veggie bake) 10. Organizing Your Way (Wondering if this is for me) 11. Aubree Cherie @ Living Free (Fruit Pizza) 12. HoosierHomemade{Chicken Mexican Soup} 13. Finding Joy in My Kitchen (GF Dark Chocolate [...]