I feel like this is less of a recipe than it is a ‘look what I had for lunch!’ There’s also a bit of ‘I did it!’ involved…

I’ve really been working hard to like fish. I AM allergic to most sea food (shellfish, etc), but I don’t seem to have much of a problem with actual fish. My only issue with it was that I grew up very near lake Ontario and when I smell fish I envision the unpleasant scenes of a rocky beach with fish remains. So its all been mental for the most part. I also struggled with the fact that fish dishes seemed to smell and taste like dead fish (what a notion…). ANYWAY, I’m happy to say I’m trying to get over my fish insecurities and have started to include this really healthy food into my diet.

If you have any suggestions as to how I can enjoy different types of fish better I’d really appreciate it! (I’ve only tried salmon at restaurants a few times and then this salad. I did make a face a few times, but I’m working on it!) Or if you know any ‘beginner’ types of fish or ways to prepare it I should know definitely pass that on! And I know that some fish are stronger than others, but I don’t know which ones. If you like fish, please tell me why …. I need motivation! :D

Fresh Salad with Salmon

1/4 can of salmon (about 2 tablespoons)
About 2 cups leafy greens (I used a spring greens mix that had sweet and bitter lettuce)
1/4 avocado, sliced and cubed
About 8 sliced small black olives
Dressing (I use an olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and poppy seed mix that I put together)

Clean the leafy greens in a drainer. Shake off access water. Chop up the avocado and olives. Throw all ingredients into a bowl and add dressing on top. Plug your nose and eat up! (I know, I’m terrible…)

PrintPrint Get a PDF   version of this webpage PDF

This post is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays.

Tagged with →

14 Responses to Fresh Salad with Salmon (and a fishy plea)

1. Christine says:

I’m also allergic to shellfish! Now that that random outburst is over…

I like most types of fish but I’m not a huge fan of canned salmon. Despite that, your salad looks really good. A really tasty way to cook salmon is to sprinkle a fillet or steak with Club House’s spicy pepper medley, dill and lemon juice then BBQ or bake/broil it. SO good.

• I’m going to have to check out this Club house spicy pepper medley! How do you add dill? Is it fresh or in another form? (I don’t use it that much – can you tell? haha)

Thanks Christine!

2. Nikki says:

This sounds really good. I’ll have to try this sometime.

I love fish but I sometimes find that salmon is fishier tasting that other fish. I buy individually wrapped frozen fish filets and just cook them up in a nonstick skillet then add some cabbage and I put them in corn tortillas as fish tacos. Its yummy and easy.

• I never even considered a fish taco! A great way to blend flavors together I’d imagine. And cabbage is sort of a strong flavor too, so that sounds like a really good idea! Thanks Brenda :)

4. Kim says:

Tinned salmon has quite a strong flavor. I personally cannot stand any salmon.
    Try tuna (if you haven’t already) it is much less fishy. You shouldn’t have to choke your lunch down :)

Have you ever had fish and chips fresh, not frozen? If you haven’t, try it out. I always get halibut, which is very mild, but hard to find at grocery stores.

Another mild one is haddock, which you can also get as fish and chips. Actually you should try some of the frozen breaded, not battered fish. You simply cook it in the oven so is pretty foolproof. Try haddock frozen, I am sure you will like it.

• I have had fish and chips, I used to LIVE on it in London. Interesting… I’d forgotten that! But I think it was because it was deep fried. I could eat anything if it was deep fried probably! (But now with the gluten intolerance I avoid most fried things). Tkanks for the advice Kim, I’ll have to try halibut or haddock if I can find it :)

5. I am so glad you are trying to like fish; it is so healthy for you! I have a recipe I like that I think covers up the “fish taste” you’re talking about, Chipotle Salmon Spread. Try it and let me know.

Also try it in things like frittata.

It’ll balance out the flavors with other foods you do like. Keep trying you’ll find your favorites. :)

DomesticProductions15.com

6. I do not really like fish at all. However, my husband is very fond of Salmon. He would probably really like this.

Salmon is our favorite. We like tilapia and cod pretty well. I either buy fresh or frozen with no batter or breading, then broil or grill it. Old Bay seasoning is a favorite to put on it. Sorry I don’t have any great ideas for you.

8. Meg's Gut says:

Sole is a good beginner fish – it is very mild. Bake it in the oven with a bit of lemon.
    Also a good combo with salmon is maple syrup, I know it sounds odd, but pour on a bit of maple syrup before sticking it in the oven to cook.

• Thanks Meg! I appreciate you pointing out a ‘beginner’ fish with sole, that’s definitely where I am… And bring on the maple syrup! I love a sweet kick to other kinds of meat dishes, so why not try it with fish?