When I was living in England (back when I was eatingĀ  gluten, dairy, and lots of sugar), there were a few foods that I couldn’t really resist. Sunday roasts, the quintessential fish and chips, beer battered anything, local made gelato, and of course – sticky toffee pudding.

It just so happens that The Boy doesn’t like chocolate. What?!?! Oh how the god’s mock me… What do you make someone for valentines day if they don’t like chocolate! (Because of course I wanted to eat some too :D).We frequent a little local pub here in PA because they have the most amazing traditional English dishes. The Boy will sometimes indulge himself with the sticky toffee pudding, so I thought this was my chance to impress him with one of his favorite desserts.

When I found a good recipe for sticky toffee pudding, of course it was laden in sugar, gluten, and milk. Part of me thought to make it that way, just to make sure The Boy was ‘awed’ by me. But the greedy goblin inside won this one and so I made it ‘my’ way.

Disclaimer: this is only refined sugar free. It contains evaporated cane juice in the sauce. Mind you, the cake is extremely good without the sauce!

English Style Sticky Toffee Pudding

The Cake:
1/2 cup white rice flour
1/2 tapioca flour
1 tbs corn starch
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup pitted dates
1 1/4 cup boiling water
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup corn oil
1/2 cup date sugar
1/4 cup amber agave nectar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract

The Sauce: (taken from She Let Them Eat Cake)
3/4 cups soy milk
3/4 cups evaporated cane juice
1/3 cups brown rice syrup
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray your baking pan. I used a deep glass dish that was about 9″ in diameter. (It worked perfect because the cake was extra moist!)

Mix together the flours and baking powder. I usually sift my flours and dry ingredients but I forgot this time. It didn’t seem to make a different in the end though. Just use a whisk in stead.

Chop the dates fine. Place in a small bowl and add the boiling water and baking soda; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl beat the egg until fluffy. Then add the oil and beat that in. Next add the date sugar, agave, and vanilla. Then slowly (and gradually) beat in the flour mixture. It got rather thick, so I would clean off the whisk before you add the flour and then use a fork.

Add the date mixture to the batter and fold until blended with a rubber spatula. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake until ‘pudding’ is set and firm on top, 45 to 50 minutes.

(The following instructions are an adaptation directly from She Let Them Eat Cake – please check out the recipe and her site, its great!)

Pour soy milk, evaporated cane juice, and brown rice syrup a saucepan over medium heat. Mix well (make sure all the sugar granules have dissolved and that the syrup is separated).

Once the mixture begins to boil, separately mix the arrowroot powder and water together until the arrowroot is completely dissolved. Add this to the boiling saucepan and mix in. Leave it on medium heat and stirring occasionally, let it cook for 15 minutes or so.

I did want to note how I cooked the caramel sauce. (Its slightly different.) I didn’t need the caramel to ‘set’, I wanted it to remain runny. So I didn’t cook it as long. Second, I didn’t feel the syrup needed non-dairy butter.

This recipe is a WOW for me. It definitely let me know that life is still gonna be awesome even though I can’t eat a few things that most people can.

PrintPrint Get a PDF   version of this webpage PDF

This post is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, What Can I Eat That’s Gluten Free?, Friday Favorites, Foodie Friday, and Food on Fridays.

18 Responses to Sticky Toffee Pudding

Wow! This looks so yummy – what a great idea to add the caramel sauce. It’s such a staple in our house :) I will definitely have to try your cake. We love all things England too so it will be a nice treat to have this. THANKS!

2. You do realize that you have me drooling here, don’t you? Oh my goodness, this looks go good. Aubree, I love how you make your refined sugar free desserts drop dead decadent!

This does look very yummy. I like that it has dates.

4. Meg's Gut says:

I love your blog! Just came across it :)
    This looks absolutely amazing, I love how it doesn’t have much refined sugar.
    Do you think you could do the sauce using honey or agave instead of evaporated cane juice?

This looks bloody fantastic! Evaporated cane juice, is that sucanat, or am I way off?

6. Hi Meg, I think so! I’m actually kicking myself for not trying it that way. When I originally came across the caramel recipe from She Let Them Eat Cake that was my initial thought too. But for some reason I spent most of my time trying to figure out the cake recipe that I didn’t even think to experiment with agave in the sauce. I believe that Amy at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free does a caramel sauce with agave so I think it would work just the same! I’m glad you like my blog! I’ll definitely be checking out yours too :)

Hi Chelsey, evaporated cane juice is just a fancy way to say sugar that’s not been processed (in my non-technical opinion, haha). So I guess it IS sucanat? For this recipe any form of sugar would work, like Sugar in the Raw, etc. I mostly try to avoid anything that’s high on the glycemic index (so evaporated cane juice, regular refined sugar, honey, maple syrup, etc.) BUT it was valentines day and I couldn’t help myself :)

7. Alea says:

This looks fantastic! I can’t wait to share it with my kids.

I’ve never heard of sticky toffee pudding, but you make it look delicious, even without the gluten, sugar, and dairy. Great job!

9. So that’s what sticky toffee pudding looks like? Guess I’ve been living in a hole! Incredible. Must check out your site further going to snoop now.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~
    Did I hear Pa. mentioned?

10. [...] Easy Chinese Fish Fillet) 4. Self Sagacity 5. April@ The 21st Century Housewife (Club Salad) 6. Aubree Cherie @ Living Free (Sticky Toffee Pudding) 7. Feels Like Home (crockpot steak with mushrooms, onions, and [...]

11. Ann Kroeker says:

I’ve never made this, and perhaps I never should or else it’s all I’ll want to make! Sounds delicious….and my Anglophile mother would love to be surprised with it someday. I’m saving this link!

12. Jennifer F says:

I love Sticky Toffee Pudding! I haven’t had it in years. I must make this!

13. [...] cereal))6. Iris at The Daily Dietribe: Sunshine Banana Muffins (GF, Dairy Free, Sugar Free)7. Aubree Cherie @ LivingFree (Sticky Toffee Pudding)8. Shirley @ gfe (Veronica’s Pumpkin Soup for GFPDP)9. Maggie @ She Let Them Eat Cake [...]

oh! How yummy this looks! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites. Hope to see you again this week!

15. [...] like a real blogger! Back in February she tried my gluten-free and dairy-free caramel recipe and blogged about it! It was really cool to see She Let Them Eat Cake on someone else’s [...]

16. Detox diet  says:

i love to munch cakes and i bake receipes based on different cake recipes that i can find on the net-~: